Question

Unable to post Slack thread updates as private comments in Zendesk ticket

• 25 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Hey all,

I have a question on how to create a specific flow that will allow me to:

• Zap 1: Escalate a issue from Zendesk to Slack (already have a zap for that), which creates a new Slack message in a private channel. The message itself includes a couple of internal information as well as the Zendesk Ticket ID as numbers (no link towards it is sent, just numbers)
  • Zap 2: Post new thread updates as a private comment in that Zendesk ticket from that existing message escalated in a private channel. Each message needs to be sent as a private comment on that particular ticket.

I was trying to follow this guide: 

however, it’s not working at all as from what I understand, in Find a Ticket in Zendesk I can’t point Zapier to read the information from the initial message that includes a Ticket ID.

I also tried to create some sort of a workflow but that didn’t work either. I also tried something with a Sub-Zap but I’m not sure if I got that right, so any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance! 

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JackTwist 

Good question.

To help us have proper context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured along with any encountered errors.

Hey @Troy Tessalone,

Thanks for jumping in on this and I do appologize for not replying it on time!

So, the first zap I created works great:

And as far as I understood the instructions, the idea is to have 2 different zaps in order for this to work, so my confusion starts when creating a separate zap that will find the post from the first zap, collect the data from it’s thread and send it as a comment to that Zendesk ticket (also needs to find that ticket as well).

I think that this step could be wrong:

Or this one:

So any help would be appreciated on this! Thanks again!

And one more thing to add, I don’t have any errors showing, it’s just that the zap doesn’t work at all, nothing is happening even though there is conversation in a Slack thread.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @JackTwist ,

From your screenshots, I think ‘Find Ticket in Zapier’ step is setup incorrectly. For Query, I think it should be Zendesk Ticket ID so it will be able to find correct ticket.

To extract ticket iD from your Slack message, you may want to try using Formatter by Zapier - Extract pattern.

Let me know if you need any help!

Cheers,

Hey @agileops , thought so too, but in the guide I mentioned in my initial post it’s explicitly said to look based on the Thread TS pulled from Slack.

I am trying to test this based on your suggestion but the problem is, in the Input field for the Text in Formatter I don’t have an option to use the main message text as a value at all (as I assume that would be the reference from which I’m pulling the data), or I’m not even sure what should be the value in this case?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@JackTwist 

This Filter condition won’t be valid.

Try changing from “is true” to “exists”.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@JackTwist 

from the guide you mentioned in your post, it says

we’d be searching Zendesk for Tickets where the Subject includes the Slack thread_ts (which is the timestamp for the Parent Message in the Main channel.

And you can see in Find Zendesk ticket step there are two required fields

•  Query - where it should be something like subject:”<Thread TS>”
  • Subject - where it should be something ilke Slack <Thread TS>

Important to note that, Query and Subject must be correctly input depends on how your Zendesk ticket is created. Basically you will have to tell the action how to find your specific Zendesk ticket. As I don’t have much knowledge about your Zendesk, this is the best I can do.

I know it’s hard to resolve issue via chat message, if you need my help feel free to connect or send me an inbox.

Cheers,