Unable to populate images from Google Sheets to Google Slide.

• 12 January 2024
  • 6 replies

I am trying to create a google sheet from the answers to a google form, via a google sheet. I have created the template and the data fields are working fine, however there are several image responses and when I try to get these inserted I get the image URL rather than the image itself.

I can’t figure out why and hope it’s something simple I’m missing and that someone here can help

First Page works fine
The url works but doesn’t show image

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @RedDavid,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please send a screenshot of the “Action” section of your action step that shows all of its fields:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Thankyou for the response, sorry it’s taken so long to get back to you. 

Hope that’s sufficient info

David

The image-link you provide in the “Create Slide” Action is not actually an image-link. It’s a link to a image saved in Google Drive, but not the image itself. Like when you enter you see the Google Drive Overlay etc, but not only the image. You need to enter in the image-url field “https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id={fileId}”. The fileId then is only the ID of your Google Drive Image and should be dynamic inserted from an earlier action.

Great, that makes sense

However, I still can’t get it to populate with a picture, perhaps I am doing something wrong with my template?

I have tried adding a picture via url to the template in the expectation of being able to replace with my own image when I run the zap but I don’t get the option to replace the image as and action.

I’ve also tried an image placeholder but again zap doesn’t recognise the tag

Should it be a text box with an image tag {{image}} ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @RedDavid,

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Google Slides can only use image URLs that end with an image file extension, like .jpg or .png. Could you please try a link that ends with a file extension of .jpg or .png?

Please keep me posted! 

OK. 

So, the image is uploaded to drive by contributors via a google form, which populates a column with a link to the stored image. I can obviously use that link, or extract the fileid and use that with “https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=” as suggested above but getting a link with the file format ending seems impossible. 

I’ll have to see if there's a tool that will allow me to pull the actual image from the fileid link and then post that as an output