Skip to main content

We’re trying to create a doc from a Google doc template.

In this action, for the setup step, we connected to the Google doc app account successfully. But when configuring this action -when we’re trying to select the folder for where the new doc should be uploaded into, there are no folder options to select from. 

We had no problem with other Google accounts but it appears to be with this specific account. Could someone please assist with this? 

Thank you! :) 

Hi @luudybug08 

Check your Zap app connections here: https://zapier.com/app/connections

Help links for using GDocs and GDrive in Zaps:

https://zapier.com/apps/google-docs/help

https://zapier.com/apps/google-drive/help

Hi @Troy Tessalone! Thanks so much for the assistance. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find the answer with the links and resources. I wonder if it has to do with the permissions with the Drive that is a shared drive. Would you happen to know what the settings should be for an organization’s shared drive in order for me to view the folders inside this shared drive?

For background context: Another team member has connected his/her Google docs account in Zapier and we’re using that connection for this specific Zapier workflow.

Hi @luudybug08 👋

Ordinarily the account connected to the Zap would require view/edit access but I did some checking and discovered a bug where shared folders are not appearing in the Folder for new Document field’s dropdown menu, which appears to be what you’re running into here! So I’ve added you to the list of users being affected by this which will help to increase it’s priority. I can’t make any promises as to when it will be resolved but we’ll be sure to notify you by email as soon as it is.

In the meantime, it’s been reported that moving both the folder and the template document from the shared drive to the “My Drive” of the connected account then allows the folder to be selected.

Can you give that a try and let me know whether it still works if you then share the folder that was moved? 

HI @SamB

Thanks for reaching out - it makes a lot of sense now why the folder options are not displaying! Thanks for adding me to the list of users with this bug - hope it resolved soon!

I did not try the workaround yet, but I did find another workaround. I inserted the folder ID and the template ID into the fields as “custom” data. I attached a screenshot below for reference in hopes that maybe it could help your other users if they run into the same problem. We also had to remove the selection in “sharing preference” so that the step would not display as an error. This is because I understand that’s also another outstanding bug out there that the “sharing preference” if an option is selected leads to an error message “no file found” but the action still runs successfully.

Hope this workaround is acceptable - let me know if you see any known problems with it though! Thank you!

WOW! Awesome work on that, @luudybug08! 🙌

Thank you so much for sharing the workaround you used, it’s a way better approach! I’ll get it added to the bug report right now so our Support team can share it with other folks that are running into this issue. 

I’m so glad you were able to get a workaround in place for now. We’ll be in touch as soon as it’s resolved. Thanks again! 🧡