Question

Unable to find files in a specific Google Drive folder despite correct settings and naming conventions?

• 21 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have created a ZAP to find a FILE within a Google Drive FOLDER.  I am using the “New File in Folder in Google Drive”; I have the correct folder and when I go to test the presence of my file in the folder, I get this message:

HOWEVER, if I search for “New File in Google Drive”, the folder is quickly recognized.  I cannot figure out why this is happening.

Is there something about the naming of my Files and how the tool searches for files?  

I am stumped

My guess is that the tool -- New File in Google Drive Folder -- recognizes only part of the document.  What I mean is this: the documents that I have been uploading into the Drive Folder that I am interested in all begin with the letters “TT” (for Timmy Test) then followed by an underscore and 7 unique numbers...I am wondering if the tool (New File in Google Drive Folder) can distinguish beyond that “TT”….because it sure does not seem like it

I think it really has something to do with the document…. 

GML

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @blueguy 

Good question.

To help give us more context, please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap step is configured, thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Overview:

Step 1/ see above:

Here is the TEST/ in this case it found a folder but it is exceedingly inconsistent

I have 2 theories:

1. My document / file name is very close in name to the folders in my Drive and the ZAP cannot distinguish between a folder and file that is similarly named
  1. My second theory is that I am renaming the same file over and over again and there is line data above that has the “OriginalFileName”; despite what I name the document the “OriginalFileName” is the same because it is the same document but with a different name
Userlevel 3
Badge +3

It is recognizing files that I have deleted from this folder hours ago...So when it finds a new file, that file it found is no longer in the folder

When I look at the document it found in the folder, that document was deleted hours ago!!!  What a mess

gml

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

So this is how we name our files prior to uploading them into the drive

UniqueID_FolderName_Date

Our folders are named: Unique_FolderName

So what I think is happening is that the ZAP cannot find the file because it is closely named to the folder

What we are doing is creating the name of the file to send the document to the correct folder

Not sure but it is a guess

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueguy 

GDrive help articles: https://zapier.com/apps/google-drive/help

I setup my drive Zap, why didn't my files copy over?

Zapier triggers only on new items, not existing items. Your existing files won't be able to be exported using Zapier. For more information on this check out import/export.

Not all my files are triggering my new file in folder Zap.

The New File in Folder trigger has some nuance about what it will trigger on:

Google Files (e.g. Google Doc, Google Sheets etc)

• If a file was created within the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified fewer than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified greater than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap won't trigger

Non-Google files (e.g. pdf or jpg):

• If a file is directly added to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file is directly added to the folder but was modified/created greater than 4 days ago, the Zap won't trigger
  • If a file is moved to the folder (even if it was added to Google Drive in the last 4 days), the Zap won't trigger

Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

okay...this is good information….BUT I do have some questions:

• If a file is directly added to the folder, the Zap will trigger

--What does “directly added” mean? 

How does that differ from this statement: If a file is moved to the folder 

Moved v. Directly added...I am not sure I appreciate the difference

This statement is not consistent with how the Zap has been previously working:  We have been uploading files/ documents to a shared folder all week long and it has been working exceedingly well.

Any more thoughts?

gml

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueguy 

Moved means moved from another GDrive Folder.

Directly added means added from outside GDrive (or I believe if a new file is created within the GDrive Folder).

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

That is not the behavior we are seeing.  Plus as I stated we have been using it as a shared drive.  An employee was creating files on his desk top and then moving them to the shared Google Drive Folder in his drive and as the folder showed up in the main drive, it would trigger appropriately

I will keep working with it/ thanks for the help

gml

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Is this just a problem when you’re testing the Zap in the editor or is there a problem occurring during live Zap runs as well?