Best answer

Unable to filter by Stripe product in Stripe

• 7 April 2023
  • 8 replies

I have 2 different products in Stripe.

My zap is: 

• Trigger: new payment in Stripe
  • Action: send an email

I want to send the email only when the customer buys Product 1, but not when he buys Product 2. 

I’m trying to filter by product, but I cant find the way to do it.

If the price of each product were different I could filter by amount, but the problem is that the price is the same for both products.

There’s a way to filter by product for sure, but I’m missing it. 

Can you help me with that?

Thank you very much. 

icon

Best answer by SamB 27 March 2024, 17:41

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey there @gustavogarriga,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some investigating, and it looks like the product details aren't being returned by the New Payment trigger in Stripe, which seems to be a bug. Our team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix. I've added your email address as another affected user. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers.
  • Help track and prioritize fixes.
  • Allows us to notify you via email if/when this is fixed.

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA, but I’ve added you to the list of users affected by this issue so we can let you know as soon as we have any updates.

That being said, if you're comfortable with Webhooks, you could give them a shot as an alternative. I've got an idea for a workaround that might work too, but it's a bit more technical, just a heads up!

1. Use Stripe webhooks to trigger a (silent) Catch Hook in Webhooks by Zapier
  2. Link: https://dashboard.stripe.com/webhooks/create
  3. More info here: https://stripe.com/docs/webhooks#webhooks-summary
  4. Events can be found here: https://stripe.com/docs/api/events/types 

You would like to use the following event: checkout.session.completed 

This comment here in our Community explain a bit on how to create the Hook: 

Hopefully, this helps! 😊

Thank you very much for your response, 

Thb, I’ve never heard of the webhooks, but I found another way to solve the problem. 

In zapier, I created a Metadata for the product, and then in Zapiert I filtered by that metadata. 

The problem is that by doing that I’m creating a multi-step workflow, as the filter counts as one step, so it requires upgrading the Zapier plan. 

I’ll look into the webhooks you mention tomorrow, thanks for the alternative!

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @gustavogarriga 

You’re welcome!

Yes, you are correct that upgrading the Zapier plan is required for creating a multi-step workflow but you can try Webhooks.

Here are article links that can help you with Webhooks:

Hopefully, this helps!

Hello,

I’m also trying to segment checkouts via the payment link / URL and then get the user’s email to send them an email but am unable to do this.

Is there any update with regards to this issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @Abdul-Rahman 

We track the number of users affected by a particular bug to help us prioritize work on the app integrations that Zapier owns. I don’t have a specific date when this bug will be fixed, but I can say that there aren’t many affected users, so it’s not something I would expect to be fixed in the immediate future. I know that’s not a great answer for you. I’m sorry about that but I’ve added your vote to the bug report so that you’ll get notified once the issue is fixed.

I have 2 different products in Stripe.

My zap is: 

• Trigger: new payment in Stripe
  • Action: send an email

I want to send the email only when the customer buys Product 1, but not when he buys Product 2. 

I’m trying to filter by product, but I cant find the way to do it.

If the price of each product were different I could filter by amount, but the problem is that the price is the same for both products.

There’s a way to filter by product for sure, but I’m missing it. 

Can you help me with that?

Thank you very much. 

What are some other potential criteria or data points that can be used to filter Stripe payments in a Zap, and how can these filters be set up effectively to ensure that the correct data is being captured and used for triggering actions? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, folks! 👋

Just wanted to pop by to share the workaround @jcgu24 suggested here:

There’s a Checkout Session Completed (Stripe) trigger that you can use for your Zaps instead. Which would then allow you to add a Filter by Zapier action to filter by a specific product ID or by description. Hope that helps! 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just circling back in here to share that the bug report mentioned has since been closed. 😁🎉

The New Payment trigger should now be returning the product information for all payments except those made via a payment link. To capture the product information for cases where a payment is created via a payment link you’ll need to set up a Zap with the Checkout Session Completed trigger, which will then include the product information for the associated payment.

That said, if you’re still having trouble accessing the product information when using the New Payment or Checkout Session Completed triggers for Stripe do let us know. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡