Best answer

Unable to choose an event when updating an event in Google Calendar

Moderator Note: Split from this topic: 

Hi Warren!

Can I confirm that I’ve understood the issue? In the update event step, when you use the dropdown list for the Event, there’s nothing there? There’s nothing in the area that the arrow is pointing to in this screenshot?

If that’s the case, then you’re right that it’s because the event needs to have been recently created for the Zap editor to pick it up. 

Another way that you can choose a specific event for the Zap is to use the ID of the event in the ‘Custom’ tab in the dropdown menu. To find the event ID, clicking edit on the event in your calendar, when the edit tab opens the ID is in the url. It’s the string that starts after https://calendar.google.com/calendar/r/eventedit/

In this example, the Event ID is the text that starts ‘MmZu’. When you’re copying the ID from the url, make sure that you only include the string of letters and numbers, stop if you hit any punctuation, so the ID in the example above ends with ‘jb20’

When you have the ID, put it in the Event field by clicking on Custom then pasting the value in the box.

Would that work for you, @AlanV?

Hello!

I’m having the exact same problem and this solution is not working. Could you help me out, please?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by SamB 24 January 2023, 12:24

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Melanie Bondo happy to help troubleshoot this with you! I’ve split this off into another post to make sure we’re giving you individualized attention. Can you tell me more about what you mean when you say it’s “not working”? What step are you at in regards to setting this up and what’s happening that shouldn’t be? Keep us posted and we’ll make sure we get you up and running!

Hello,
I am in the step of searching for the event in google calendar and the event does not appear. Can you help me please?
Thanks!

@jesse can you help me out? thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there, @Melanie Bondo! 👋

Is the missing event one that’s been created recently? If not, as Danvers mentioned in that other post, the Zap won’t be able to see it.

If that’s the case, using the Custom option for the Event field and putting in your event’s ID as per Danvers’ instructions should work. If you tried that already and it didn’t work did you get an error message at all? If you could share a screenshot of the Zap’s set up when using that Custom option we should be better able to spot what’s might be causing problems here. Thanks, we’ll be keeping an eye out for your reply! 

Hi there, @Melanie Bondo! 👋

Is the missing event one that’s been created recently? If not, as Danvers mentioned in that other post, the Zap won’t be able to see it.

It was created recently.

If that’s the case, using the Custom option for the Event field and putting in your event’s ID as per Danvers’ instructions should work. If you tried that already and it didn’t work did you get an error message at all? If you could share a screenshot of the Zap’s set up when using that Custom option we should be better able to spot what’s might be causing problems here. Thanks, we’ll be keeping an eye out for your reply! 

Already tried Danvers’ intructions and it didn’t work. I got an error message:

Btw, as you may notice, in the custom option it only shows typeform options. That is also something I don't understand. Can you tell me if the error comes from there? Thanks!

I have also tried including an intermediate step "Search for event in Google Calendar". This works, but I can't publish it since I'm using the free version of zapier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting me know, @Melanie Bondo! 🙂

Ah, it looks like the event ID was put in the search box on the dropdown menu for the Event field. You’d need to select the Custom option and type the ID directly into the field:
7668bdd0dfe1dd9611cd4c9674373ef8.png

Btw, as you may notice, in the custom option it only shows typeform options. That is also something I don't understand. Can you tell me if the error comes from there? Thanks!

The Custom option allows you to select values from previous triggers and actions in a Zap so that’s why you’re able to see the fields from Typeform appearing. It’s not the cause of the error.

I have also tried including an intermediate step "Search for event in Google Calendar". This works, but I can't publish it since I'm using the free version of zapier.

Ah yes, if you were to add a search action to the Zap that would increase the number of actions for the Zap. Currently Free plans can only use single-step Zaps, not multi-step Zaps. 

Can you try adding the ID into the Event field, as described above, and see if that sorts it? Looking forward to hearing back from you on this!

Solved! Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s fantastic news @Melanie Bondo! Thanks for letting us know, I’m so glad that sorted it! 😁🎉