Question

Unable to add Zapier Bot to Google Chat Group despite successful configuration for a personal account.

• 4 March 2024
  • 3 replies

I am trying to add the Zapier bot to a Google chat group that I have set up. I have been able to configure the bot to send a message to me (when an email with a trigger lands in my inbox), but the option to add the bot to the group chat does not seem to work. Would my organisation need to give additional permissions to make this work? I have tried it on my personal account and it seems to work.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there @JHS. Welcome to the Community! 🎉

When you say it’s not working, is it that the Zapier app can’t be added to the space in Google Chat? Or is it more that you’re running into an error? If you’re getting an error would you mind sharing a screenshot showing the full error message so we can take a closer look? Please remove/hide any private information (like names, emails, addresses etc.) from any screenshots before sharing.

That’ll help give us a bit more context and allow us to better troubleshoot this with you! 🙂

Hi Sam,

There's no error, it's just that when I try to add the app, it can't bee found (no apps show up). This is both in a space and in a Google chat with several people in it. The IT team in my organisation have given permissions to Zapier and I am able to interact with the app in a one-to-one chat and have set up a zap to do just that. The problem seems to only apply when there is a space or a chat with more than one person.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me @JHS

I did some digging on this end and found a similar report from another person who was able to get it appearing in the apps list by “adding the Zapier bot to allowlist the Zapier bot app separately to the regular Zapier API app in the Workspace admin console”.

If you’re not sure how to do that I found a Google help guide on that gives some instructions: Add an app to the allowlist or blocklist

Can you give that a try and let me know if that works as hoped?