Best answer

Trying to connect Wordpress to Zapier, getting an "Error parsing response" error

Userlevel 3

Hi, I’m trying to connect Wordpress to Zapier. I’ve installed and activated the Zapier plugin to wordpress. I go to log in to my Wordpress on Zapier, and I get the following error:

We hit an error adding your new account

authentication failed: Error parsing response. We got: "<!DOCTYPE html> <html style="height:100%"> <head> <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,"

1. Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup
  2. Double check your Account has the correct permissions
  3. Check out our help docs for more information

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by christina.d 24 August 2022, 00:59

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

163 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey all,

There’s now quite a few different errors to the original one (“authentication failed: Error parsing response”) being discussed in this thread, making this a bit hard to follow. So I’ve moved @cyril2021’s and @Jussi’s posts out into a new topic here:

@BQM and @cbm, can you please confirm whether you are running into the same original error “authentication failed: Error parsing response” or the different, “authentication failed: 404 Not found” error?

Userlevel 1

Had the “authentication failed: Error parsing response” issue and after disabling the Securi, Wordfence and Limit login attempts plugins, still had no success. Found out it was the “Brute Force” security setting in JetPack

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

That’s great news @Dandelion Learning! I’m really glad you were able to get rid of that “authentication failed: Error parsing response” error by disabling the Brute Force setting in JetPack.

Thanks for sharing your solution here so that others can benefit from your discovery! :)

Userlevel 1

For me the problem was caused by the Wordfence plugin. I disabled Wordfence, activated the Zapier integration and afterwards enabled the Wordfence plugin again. It now works

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @PlanMen, thanks for sharing what worked for you! It always helps having another way to try and troubleshoot. Glad to hear you have it working again! 🙂

Userlevel 1

For me the problem was caused by the Wordfence plugin. I disabled Wordfence on my website, activated the Zapier integration and afterwards enabled the Wordfence plugin again. It now works

Yes, this solved my problem too. 

Hello,

I have this problem:

I've deactivated (and even deleted) wordfence.

no other plugin activated except my theme (generate press)

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m so sorry to hear that @matt0913 :(

I’ve added you to the list of affected users so we’ll email you the moment this issue has been sorted. :)

Userlevel 1

To add one specific case (and sort-of solution) to variants of

Error parsing response: We got: "<html><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;/.well-known/captcha/">

If you are hosting on SiteGround and hitting this specific error message, this is most likely caused by their “Anti-Bot AI” system that is supposed to prevent brute force attacks. Kudos to Stackoverflow user Alec Smart that pointed into the right direction. In this case, Siteground support will most likely offer to disable this feature entirely.

For everyone else: make sure to give a closer look to your specific hosting environment for similar systems kicking in - maybe it’s neither Zapier nor the WP plugin to blame, but a more fundamental server-side thing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Shazap! Thanks so much for coming into update the thread with what worked for you! It’s very much appreciated and hopefully helps unblock others as well. 

Userlevel 1

authentication failed: Error parsing response. We got: "<!DOCTYPE html> <!--[if IE 6]> <html id="ie6" lang="en-US"> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE 7]> <html id="ie"

Can’t connect to Wordpress - Any ideas? So far my Zapier experience is “...looks fanzy, can do nothing!” 

Userlevel 1

authentication failed: Error parsing response. We got: "<!DOCTYPE html> <!--[if IE 6]> <html id="ie6" lang="en-US"> <![endif]--> <!--[if IE 7]> <html id="ie"

Can’t connect to Wordpress - Any ideas? So far my Zapier experience is “...looks fanzy, can do nothing!” 

STEP 1: Make sure you click "Allow" or "Accept" on the permission popup

THIS CONFIGURES NO WHERE. NO POP UP, NO NOTIFICATION.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey all! Ya’ll ready for some good news?

….🥁

This longstanding bug is OFFICIALLY closed. 🎉

That being said, the team has a few asks. If you are still running into 403 Authentication Errors we’d highly recommend checking out some of these common issues with Wordpress that could be the culprit.

If you’re needing help with this or are still hitting errors after trying those troubleshooting steps, please feel free to open a ticket with my friends in support. Some things our team will likely be asking for are:

• A list of installed plug-ins on your site
  • The hosting service you use for your WordPress site

Full transparency, Wordpress can be a doozy to troubleshoot. So if the above referenced docs don’t do the trick, while we may not be able to provide an immediate solution having those details readily available for our support team will help immensely with spotting patterns. 

Thank you for your ongoing patience as the team worked on this and happy zapping! ⚡️