Best answer

Troubleshooting Zapier: MySQL Trigger and Filter Failing to Recognize Non-Zero idcompany Value

• 4 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a YouTube video import process and I'm using several tools, including MySQL, YouTube and Filter.

1. I've set up a MySQL trigger that checks for new rows in my database.

2. Next, I use a Filter action to check whether the company ID (id_company) in the database corresponds exactly to the one I specified in the filter (for example, 123).

3. Finally, I try to upload the video to YouTube, but here lies the problem.

The problem is that each time I create a zap for the first time, it blocks during the filtering stage, because the id_company is apparently equal to 0. However, when I check my database, I see that the id_company does indeed have a non-zero value.

When I look at the data from my Zap runs (output data), I see that the id_company is indeed zero. However, if I create a new row in my database with the same id_company value as the one I used in the filtering, then the zap works as expected.

Looks like Zapier isn't checking all the new SQL line in my db...

Do you have any idea what might be causing this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

icon

Best answer by SamB 5 September 2023, 11:37

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think I've solved my problem by adding a delay before filtering on the id_company.
To be seen in the long term. I'm still waiting for your comments to see if the solution I chose is the right one. Thanks in advance,

Mediapole.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @mediapole! 👋

That’s very strange indeed. Adding a Delay by Zapier action would not fix things unless you had an additional MySQL action after it to check on the row which triggered the Zap to see if it now has a value in the Id Company field.

If the Zap started working after the delay was added it could just be that the row that triggered the Zap happened to have a value in the Id Company field and so that value was available before the Delay action was even run. 

It seems like maybe the Zap is triggering before a value has been added into the Id Company field. Which could explain why the id is appearing as 0 sometimes. If you’re setting an Id Company to match what’s referenced in the filter when testing, I’m assuming that’s one of the first fields you’re filling out which might be why it is picking up a value on that occasion. Do you think that could be the case here?

If so, perhaps you could try the following:

• Add a Find Row (or Find Row via Custom Query) action after the Delay by Zapier action, and before the Filter by Zapier action.
  • Then update the filter to check the output from that Find Row action to see whether it now has a value in the Id Company field.

That should allow the Zap to check on the row to get it’s current values after waiting a couple of minutes and ensure that the filter is able to see the company id. 

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello @SamB,
Thank you for taking the time to give me so much information.

If I've understood correctly, you're asking me to try something like this? I.e. with an additional query to my database to double-check that after the delay I'm getting back the value stored in id_company?

Thanks,

Mediapole.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hello @jammer.solijon !
 It's very kind of you to worry about our confidential information, but we're currently testing our automation solution for our customers.
The information you noted and removed from the post in question is not linked to any of our customers.
We are in the development phase.

However, we will be more vigilant if you do not want information such as email to appear. Even if they are used for our tests.

Hello @SamB,

Problem solved. We've located it in our db. Our SQL line was automatically saved without us even finishing it.
Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Mediapole.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Sorry for the delay in responding here @mediapole. Yes, you understood me perfectly! I’m so pleased adding that additional MySQL action to find the row and get the company id once it’s been added did the trick! 😁🎉

Seems like you’re all set for now but do let us know if you run into further troubles at all - the Community is always here and happy to help!