Question

Troubleshooting: Asana project name not available when creating a Zap

• 6 May 2023
  • 7 replies

Hey there
I’m trying to connect my jira Project to an asana project for external use and keep them in sync. The issue is that my asana project name is not available while creating a zap. Trying to figure out what might be the problem. 
As an additional info I’m using free version of asana and crated a new project which is shared with the same account that I use for zaps configuration. 
Zo really confused,  not sure how to fix. 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Hasmik H,

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please a detailed screenshot with how your Zap is configured? Especially, the Asana action step? Please don’t include/blur out any personal information in the screenshot.

Thanks! 😊

hey @ken.a 
See the screen bellow. 
I’ve setup the trigger, asked my org to add my account into the main workspace that we use in Asana and then created my personal project under that one. 

Now when I scroll down the list of available projects I don’t see mine even tough I keep clicking on load more button. 
No success. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Hasmik H! Thanks for sharing that helpful screenshot here.

Hmm, I’ve seen this happen in the past where there’s a lot of Asana projects and we’re only able to pull in a certain number at a time. If it’s still not able to load after pressing the load more button multiple times, then it may be best to select it manually.

To do that you’ll need to:

• Open the project in Asana to and copy the project ID from the URL. (The project ID can be found in the URL of the project on Asana. For example: https://app.asana.com/0/1234567891234567/list)
  • Then head back to the Zap. And in the Project field choose the Custom value option, then paste in the project ID you copied from Asana. 

Hope that helps. Please do keep us in updated on how that goes!

thanks @SamB 
One step ahead but I’m still struggling with configuration not that much intuitive. 

Now I need to make sure Jira fields are being copied to the Asana board. 
Could you help me how to understand which field name corresponds to the actual one. 
Like I want to send summary value automatically to Asana and this is what I see. Am not able to distinguish the right field name. 

Also to add there are built in fields so I can not add them via custom field IDs. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Glad to hear that helped get you a bit further along here, @Hasmik H

I’m not able to view the attachment you added, it’s says it’s not able to be loaded. Would you mind sharing that again here so we can take a closer look? Please be sure to remove/hide any private information like names, emails etc. from any screenshots first though.

With the fields that you can’t select, am I right in thinking that they are missing from the selected issue test sample on the Jira trigger? 

If so, does the selected issue sample have values in those fields? If not, then that might be why you’re not able to select them on the Asana action. In which case, changing the selected sample may help to get the custom fields coming through. See Change the test data in your Zap trigger for more details.

If you can please upload that screenshot again, then we’ll go from there! 🙂

Here is the screen @SamB 
What I’m trying to say it’s impossible to understand which field to choose and even more the names are not logical at all so I’m mostly guessing and unable to setup a simple automation for already 3 days. 
Tried formatter for zapier as well, tried to code as well. Same issue, have to guess. 
Isn’t there any template or example with step by step guidance and maybe mock data that shows each and every step so that user can stick to when they have to somehow cope with not that much intuitive UI. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @Hasmik H,

Unfortunately, I have exhausted my resources on why this issue is happening with your Zap. I recommend opening a ticket with our Support team so that they can take a closer look at the Zap and dig deeper into the logs and determine the root cause of this issue.

You can reach our Support team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Hopefully, this helps.