Best answer

Trouble with Zapier not triggering threaded responses in Slack despite using filters and validation.

Userlevel 1

Hi there I have been following these instructions but can’t seem to get this to work consistently. Any thoughts?

I set up a test channel and have a trigger for a new message. I then set up the filter and validation that the message is not a thread message. I then set up the filter per the instructions to only respond if it is a) a non thread message b) not a bot. Lastly, I think this is where the error comes in -- it won’t trigger a threaded response. Not sure why… any help would be greatly appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 5 January 2024, 05:02

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @jsinger11 

Can you post detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured to give us true context?

Userlevel 1
Overview
Slack message trigger

@Troy Tessalone here you go! Thanks for being engaged

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jsinger11 

The Thread value needs to be the Thread TS (not with time)

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone I ajusted and it fired the zap to the message that is entered. However, when I tried typing a new message in slack nothing fired off in thread… thoughts? I want to make sure the same automated messaged goes anytime someone posts in this specific channel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jsinger11 

To troubleshoot, check your Zap Runs history for activity/issues: https://zapier.com/app/history/

Userlevel 1

Thoughts @Troy Tessalone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jsinger11 

In the Zap Run details, you can see the DATA IN/OUT for each Zap step to help you troubleshoot.

Userlevel 1

@Troy Tessalone gotcha -- I’m wondering if you know of a simpler way to accomplish what I am trying to do here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jsinger11 

Can you post a screenshot of the DATA IN/OUT for the Formatter step that resulted in the error in the Zap Run to give us context?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jsinger11 

Other related topics to reference for possible guidance:

https://community.zapier.com/search?q=slack%20thread%20reply&content_type%5B0%5D=discussion&content_type%5B1%5D=question&source%5B0%5D=community

Userlevel 1

It almost seems like the new slack message doesn’t have a thread ts field -- that is only created when a message is sent to create a thread. The challenge is I don’t want to get on a loop.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@jsinger11 

When you see this in the DATA IN for a Zap Run step, it means the mapped variable was invalid or missing a value.

Perhaps take a different approach with the Filter and check if there is no Thread TS present.

That would indicate it’s a new message vs a message thread.

Userlevel 1

Tried it -- works! Thanks @Troy Tessalone