Best answer

Trouble Using INDIRECT ROW Method to Insert Dynamic Formula with VLOOKUP

• 2 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m hoping to use INDIRECT and ROW in a formula to get around the fact that new rows do not copy down formulas. I was able to get this method to work for one formula but I have another formula that it’s not working on. No error is given, just a blank value.

=IFNA(VLOOKUP(INDIRECT("D" & ROW(),'Shipped Orders'!B:X,23,FALSE),""))

I’ve tried it every which way with no dice. Any formula pros know what’s going on?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 2 August 2021, 22:55

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ericg 

Try instead to use ARRAYFORMULA: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093275?hl=en

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had never used ARRAYFORMULA, but I’m now a believer. Pretty cool!

I feel like I’m really close with this one, but the value being returned down my entire column is always the returned lookup for D2. Have I missed something obvious?

=ARRAYFORMULA(IFNA(VLOOKUP(D2:D,'Shipped Orders'!B2:X,23,FALSE),""))

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ericg 

Try this…

=IFERROR(ARRAYFORMULA(VLOOKUP(D2:D,’Shipped Orderes’!B2:X,23,FALSE)))

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, Troy. The result is the same. I realize we’re now firmly in Google Sheet and not Zapier territory. Appreciate you looking at it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ericg 

To clarify, the ARRAYFORMULA should be added directly to the GSheet, and not via the Zap.

W/o seeing the GSheet and how the formula is configured, it’s hard to troubleshoot any further.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hey Troy. Thanks for your help! The formula worked, I had simply neglected to change some values elsewhere in my sheet. Much appreciated and thanks for teaching me something new!