Question

Trouble updating Google Calendar events through Google Sheets - issues with search term & event setup

• 6 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Hello!

I am having issues in setting up my zap so that my google calendar updates the events when I update the information in google sheets.

I have used these steps

1. New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets
  2. Find Event in Google Calendar
  3. Update Event in Google Calendar

I think I am doing something wrong in “Search Term” in Find Event or in the “Event” in Update Event.

Can someone please explain?

Thank you!

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @anjaaventyr 

Good question.

To help us have more context, please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured, how your GSheet is configured, and any encountered error messages.

Thank you for your response and for being available to help me sort this out!

Here is a screenshot of my google sheet where I am currently are testing things out.

I don’t have any error message but when I update a row in my google sheet a new event is created in google calendar rather than updating the old one. I have tried a few different things but haven’t been able to make it work. I am sure it is simple if you know what to do… ;)

Here are some screenshot so my Zaps.

Will this work or do I need to send you more screenshots?

I think I am confused what to put in the “event” on Update Event in Google Calendar section and what to put as the Search Term in Update Event but there might be more that I am missing here.

I really appreciate your help here. It is such a headache :)

Best regards,

Anja

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@anjaaventyr 

Your Zap step 2 is configured to find an existing GCal Event, else create a new GCal event.

If new GCal events are being created that’s because an existing GCal event is not being found.

The configured values for the Search Term, Summary, Description are giant concatenated blobs of text.

Try adding spaces between the mapped variable values.

What you should do is add another field to the GSheet to save the GCal Event ID.

Then you’d have 2 Zaps:

• 1 Zap to create new GCal Events when there is no GCal Event ID on the Row
  • 1 Zap to update GCal Events when there is a GCal Event ID on the Row

Thank you for your help.

I haven’t succeeded but I haven’t given up yet :)

Regarding your suggestion to create another field in GSheet. Do you mean to make another column dedicated for the GCal Event ID and then to copy the GCal Event ID and paste it into that field each time a new event is created? If that is what you mean it will create another step that I would like to avoid. 

The issue I am still having is that a new event is bring created each time I update a row in GSheet. So something is not right..

Is there a tutorial on this specific zap combo?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@anjaaventyr 

Most Zaps are unique to the use case being configured so there won’t be a specific tutorial available.

What you should do is add another field to the GSheet to save the GCal Event ID.

Then you’d have 2 Zaps:

• 1 Zap to create new GCal Events when there is no GCal Event ID on the Row
  • 1 Zap to update GCal Events when there is a GCal Event ID on the Row