Question

Trouble posting Google Doc content to Medium - Receives "No Data" error.

• 15 October 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m trying to create a zap where when a new row is added to Sheet, it goes to the Doc’s link, get the content and then have it posted in Medium. 

Im stuck in Medium’s step where under the content header, I’m placing File Raw Plain Text content but it says “No Data”

What am i doing wrong? 

P.S: The Google doc has some content + images

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @abdulhannan,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

I did some digging into this, and it seems like the “Find Document in Google Docs” action doesn't return actual text or content from the document.

In order to workaround this and get the content from the document, you can use a GET (Webhooks by Zapier) action and in the URL field, select the File Txt field that is output from a Find a Document search action. This will return the text in the data out that can be used in the next steps.

Full guide below:

Hopefully, this helps! 🤗

tried this already but it is giving away this kind of info:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @abdulhannan,

Could you please send a screenshot of how your Webhooks by Zapier step is set up? I’m looking for the “Action” section of the Webhooks by Zapier step. Here’s an example screenshot:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Thanks! 😊

I’m using this because I am not getting any option for “File Txt” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks for the screenshot @abdulhannan!

As jbizzle mentioned on the Community post I linked:

You need to add a step to make the file shareable BEFORE you perform the GET function. Otherwise, you’re trying to access a file that’s not accessible by an outside entity. 

1. Use this Action: Add File Sharing Preference in Google Drive
  2. Find your file ID from the Google Doc step
  3. Change the permissions. I make mine “Anyone on the internet who has the link can view” - obvs be careful what you put out there. Don’t make discoverable. 

After you add this step, you can now perform the GET as described above and it’ll find the file. 

After making the file public, please test the 2nd step again, and could you please try removing the typed “file” in the “URL” field of your Webhooks by Zapier step, and remapping the mapped data with the File Txt (Exists but not shown)?

30aa296345928f7cd71b5dad690c2b6c.png
(view larger)

Please give that a try, and let me know how it goes! 😊