Best answer

Trouble connecting API-created Leads to Pipedrive Contacts: Unable to pick up required fields

• 19 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

We have an API which creates Leads and Organisation in Pipedrive from form submissions on our website.

We’ve run into a problem where the Lead needs a Person in Pipedrive to run follow on automations, however the API only creates the Lead and Org.

The API does push the Persons Name, Phone, Email to Pipedrive, but currently these update custom field on the Lead. To work around this I’ve created a Zap to automate the Creation of Contacts in Pipedrive based on the creation of those Lead field (Name and Email).

When I submit a form via the website it Creates the Lead and Org in Pipedrive as expected, however the Zap will not pick up these entries when testing.
Because of this, I’m not able to view the required fields in the follow up steps, which are needed to Create the Person.

When I turn the Zap on and submit an enquiry via the webform I can see in the Zap History that Zapier does see the required forms, but everytime I try to test the Zap it only pulls a manually created Lead and not any of the Leads that have been created via the API.

Can anyone suggest anything/help?

Thanks

(Screenshot shows the data in Zapier when the Zap is turned on and a form submitted, but when trying to build/test the Zap it just defaults to a manually inputted Lead which doesn’t have these fields)

icon

Best answer by SamB 11 October 2023, 13:13

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @CardManc! 👋

You mentioned that you have an API which sends the webform submissions to the Zap, am I right in thinking you’re using a Catch Hook (Webhooks by Zapier) trigger for the Zap? Or are you using a webform app to as the trigger? 

Usually to get a recent sample they will need to be created around the same time that the Zap attempts to look for them. Perhaps you can try submitting another test form submission then quickly switch back to the Zap and attempt to load in the new form submission as a new sample right away. 

If that doesn’t work, as the fields appear to be present when the Zap is switched on, you could potentially try manually selecting the fields. This is referred to a “custom pill mapping” and you can find out more about how to do that here:

Hope that helps to get you pointed in the right direction. Please do keep us in the loop on how you get on here!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @SamB ,

Thanks for replying - I’m afraid the above did not work. I since reached out to Zapier support and they’ve told me it’s a bug.

I’ve actually managed a workaround using Parser so I have a working solution for now (although the ideal solution would be the bug fixed and the Zap working correctly!).

Thanks for your help!​​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting me know @CardManc!

Ah yes, I can see that our Support team have got you added to a bug that’s been reported for the Pipedrive app where it’s not always able to pull in the latest leads. We’ll be sure to notify you by email as soon as that’s been sorted.

I’m so pleased to hear that you were able to come up with a workaround using Email Parser in the meantime. We really appreciate you hopping back in here to share this information with us! 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @CardManc! 👋

I expect you’ve already seen the email notification from us about this but I also wanted confirm here that the bug has now been resolved! 😁🎉 And the Pipedrive app is now able to load and trigger on new leads.

You’d just need to change out the Parser trigger in the Zap for the Pipedrive trigger instead to get the Zap working as originally intended. That said, if you run into any issues on that please do let us know - always happy to help further!