Best answer

Trigger a Zap when their is an exchange on Shopify POS

• 15 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Help! Is there anyway to trigger a zap when an exchange occurs on Shopify POS? 

We currently use a google sheet to assist in inventory management whereby data from each shopify sale is sent directly to a google sheet. It assists us with re-ordering stock. 

When an exchange occurs unfortunately Shopify treats it as having edited(?) the order. This doesn’t trigger a zap and  hence no product data is transferring to our google sheet from these “sales”. 

I’d really appreciate any insight or tips. 

The “updated order” doesn’t seem to work in this instance - we’ve certainly tried!

icon

Best answer by SamB 15 August 2023, 14:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @SS Australia,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, I’m not really familiar with Shopify that much, but could you please elaborate a little bit more on what you mean by “exchange”? Does it pertains to updating a product in Shopify?

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @SS Australia, welcome to the Community! 👋

You’re quite right, the Updated Order trigger for the Shopify app doesn’t appear to have an option to allow it to trigger when an order is edited. I couldn’t find any existing feature requests open for that functionality to be added so I’d recommend reaching out to our Support team about this here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help. They’ll be able to open up a feature request on your behalf to have that functionality added to the Shopify app. 

In the meantime, it looks like Shopify is able to send a webhook notification for an “Order edit: a webhook will be sent every time an order is edited.”. So I’m thinking you could potentially create a webhook in Shopify to send a notification to a Zap whenever an order is edited to get details about the exchanged item on the order. The trigger for the Zap would need to be a Catch Hook (Webhooks by Zapier) trigger, instead of the current Updated Order (Shopify) trigger in order for this approach to work. Webhooks are an advanced feature and I can’t guarantee that it will work for edited POS orders as well as edited website orders, but thought it worth suggesting here just in case in you wanted to explore that option.

To learn more about how to set up the webhook within Shopify please checkout their guide here: Shopify > Create webhooks. And for more details on how to set up a Zap to trigger from a webhook you’ll want to review our Trigger Zaps from webhooks guide.

Hope that helps. If you do managed to get this working by setting up a webhook in Shopify to trigger the Zap please do let us know. Would love to have confirmation that the suggested workaround does work as hoped! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hi @SamB

Just an FYI I did manage to semi successfully set this up. I was able to send a notification to our re-ordering spreadsheet that an order had been edited. But I couldn’t get good data from the webhook about what items were exchanged. The data feeding through the webhook seemed to be limited to as per the image below. 

This has put us in a slightly better position than we were - a step in the right direction :) 

Appreciate your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the update @SS Australia!

Sorry to hear that the webhooks don’t provide all the desired information, but I’m pleased it was able to get you a get you a step closer at least. If we come across any alternative solutions that might work better we’ll be sure to share details of them here. Do let us know if there’s anything else we can assist with in the meantime. 🙂