Skip to main content

I am experiencing issues with the Whisper integration. When I attempt to transcribe an audio file, I receive a "504 Gateway Time-out" error.

The weird thing is that is used to work for me. Unreliably but still. I could wait a couple hours and it would usually work again. 

It completely stopped working a couple weeks ago. I thought it was just a temporary thing at the beginning, but it seems the issue persists.

I found 2 other people with similar issues : 

But no one came up with a solution.

What I know : 

• The issue is not related to the audio file itself, as the exact same file was successfully transcribed in a Zap previously.
  • The Zap that used to work is also experiencing the same error now.
  • The same setup works on Make, your competitor, so it looks like it’s a Zapier issue. (I tested using the exact same 31min audio file!)

I already contacted support but I honestly doubt they’ll be able to help. Last time when facing issues with the OpenAI integration, I was told to contact OpenAI directly. But now that I know it works on Make, I figure it must be a problem on your end? 

Could someone on your team really look at this? Make is cool and all, but I prefer Zapier’s interface. 😅

Hi @Alexe Martel,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied on Tuesday with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

I understand that you're trying to integrate audio transcription using OpenAI (GPT-4, DALL-E, Whisper), however, you are encountering a 504 Gateway Time-out error.

Per checking in our logs here, the reason for the error is below:

Invalid file format. Supported formats: t'flac', 'm4a', 'mp3', 'mp4', 'mpeg', 'mpga', 'oga', 'ogg', 'wav', 'webm

I've discovered that the problem is a known issue that's come up for a few of our users.  

I'm afraid I can’t provide an ETA for when this issue might be resolved because prioritization is largely dependent on the number of customers affected. You'll be the first to know via email when there's a resolution.

Alternatively, since the file is Hydrate which is our way of retrieving files from services. It’s used when a file itself needs to be downloaded in order to use in other steps or, in this case, uploaded to another service. The output of the file is needed in a further step, it is available for use.

180b50c44cfc94e7632a36b7ba8bfa88.png
(view larger)

Probably, you can give it a try using this mapping below.

7f4eb97677fe9077d702e5d35b5f2576.png
(view larger)

If does not work, I'm afraid a no workaround isn't available, your notification is helpful, and we've proactively added your email to our issue report.

If you have any other questions or need more help, please don't hesitate to reach out.

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email. If you can’t locate their reply I’d recommend searching your spam/junk folder or searching your inbox for any emails from zapier.com in case. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.

I appreciate your patience and understanding.