Question

The Quickbooks "Customer" field is being left blank even though I filled out the first/last name

Userlevel 1

I just set up auto imports from givebutter to Quickbooks online.  Everything is working except the customer field.  On the setup under “Customer” I chose first and last name.  But in Quickbooks it’s leaving the name blank.  Everything else is filled in correctly.

Any ideas?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Rebekah A 

Good question.

Please post detailed screenshots with how your Zap step is configured in order for us to have context, thanks.

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy,

Here is the setup in Zapier:

As you can see, I’ve selected the first name and last name for the customer detail.

Here is in quickbooks.  It’s added everything but the name:

Note that I run a nonprofit, so QBO shows “donor” instead of “customer”

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rebekah A 

It’s unclear from the screenshot what QBO Zap action you are trying to use.

Also, looks like there is a space missing between the mapped variables.

Userlevel 1

I am using “Create Sales Receipt in QuickBooks Online”

Thanks for the tip about adding a space between the mapped variables, I have corrected that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rebekah A 

Can you post a screenshot for the QBO action step that shows the fields in the edit view?

Your previous screenshot is from the read-only view.

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Does this help?  Thank you for your patience with me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Rebekah A 

Make sure to review the available Description under each field.

The Customer field expects the internal QBO Customer ID value, not the name of the Customer.

However, based on the description for the other field you don’t need to map values for the Customer field.

NOTE: It would be better to use the Customer Email in the second field since that’s a unique value, whereas 2 people could have the same name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Rebekah A checking in to see if you were able to use Troy’s suggestion to get your mapping squared away!

Let us know if you are hitting any roadblocks- would also love to hear more about the work you all are doing at Bountiful Food Pantry!

Userlevel 1

Hi Troy,

Thank you so much for your help with this and for your patience with me. 

The way that I am interpreting your response is that I need to get the QBO Customer ID value, but how would I add in that information when as I understand it, the data has not yet been imported and therefore the customer ID value has not yet been created? Is that accurate?

Are you also saying that in the “Customer” field I do not need to have values added (The way they are now is 1. First Name and 2. Last Name). Should I remove those?

In the “Find Customer by Name/Email” field what should I put?

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Rebekah A 

You have to consider here (based on your workflow) if the customer is already in QBO or not. 

If the Customer is there, then remove the data from the first field (Customer ID) and keep it in the second one so QBO can search for the relevant customer. 

If the Customer is NOT there then you need to add a step BEFORE creating the invoice, “Find Customer in QuickBooks Online” just in case the customer is in QBO already, and there you can click on “Create QuickBooks Online Customer if it doesn’t exist yet?”

Hope this helps

Userlevel 1

Thank you so much!!  We’re going to try this tomorrow

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Rebekah A Wonderful! Keep us posted with how things go with testing! We’re here for you if anything else comes up. 🙂