Question

Stripe integration not pulling meta data

• 12 November 2023
  • 14 replies

There has been a bug report for over 3 months with Zapier not pulling meta from Stripe on new transactions.  Has anyone discovered any work arounds?  

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Jaingram 

Good question.

Have you tried adding this as Step 2?

Action: Stripe - Find Transactions

Thanks for the idea, I did try adding adding Find New Payment, (also tried Find Charge)..  Not sure the difference.  But it too, does not pull the meta.  Weird thing is, I can go and edit the Zap, and select Find New Records, and it finds that record and it has all the meta.   It’s just on the initial that it’s missing..  Wonder if a pause would help.  I’ll try that and report back..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jaingram 

Also, make sure to configure/test with a trigger example that you know has metadata.

Yep, they all do, and unfortunately the delay didn’t help.  The head scratcher is definitely the fact I can go in and edit the Zap and pull new records and it will pull this one in with all the meta data.  Really hope they fix this as all our stripe transactions are broken and have to be inputted manually.  Going to have to start looking at new vendors if this keeps up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jaingram 

Can you post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured?

Let me know if there is a step you would like to see more detail..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jaingram 

Perhaps try this Zap trigger.

I’ve got metadata configured on Stripe Payment Links that comes thru when using this trigger.

Where is the metadata set? (Product, Price, etc.) [screenshots]

I’ll try that and will send the meta set if it fails again. 

Tried the Checkout Session step and it will not find any new transactions.  Probably because of the way we are taking donations.  Our donation page is here:  https://us.langham.org/donate/

Regarding the meta, just to show an example.  We just had a transaction fail and I went in and edited the Zap and clicked Find new records from the first step and it found the one that failed and the meta data is there:

However, if I go in to the Zap run that failed, and look at the “Data Out” that same data is missing entirely, the whole section is missing..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Jaingram 

Another workaround to try is using the Stripe API: https://stripe.com/docs/api

Zap action: Stripe - App Extensions

There is an AI assist to help configure.

Looks like if I delay it for 2 hours the meta data is there.  Not 1 hour, but 2.  Any ideas why it would take 2 hours?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @Jaingram! 👋

Glad to hear you were able to see the meta data after adding a delay to the Zap. I took a look at the internal notes we have for the Stripe app but couldn’t see any reference on how often the data the API sees is refreshed.

From Stripe’s API documentation it appears that data will be refreshed with one day: https://stripe.com/docs/stripe-data/available-data. But it could be that time frame is the maximum amount of time that it could take to update, or perhaps it’s only nearer 24 hours for certain kinds of data that’s been updated. 🤔

Usually for situations like this setting a delay to a 2-5 mins given the API enough time to catch up to the new data. Did you test out the delay of 1 hours over one or multiple days? Just thinking that maybe on the day of testing Stripe’s servers were experiencing heavier use than normal or had an issue that slowed things down? 

Do you think that could be the case here? 

The crazy thing is, the “legacy” Zap, (older version) is immediate and continues to work.  This new one used to be immediate back in the summer but broke around September where it is now taking several hours.  It would seem it is a coding issues since the legacy Zap continues to work and meta is available immediately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Apologies for missing your reply here previously, @Jaingram!

Crazy indeed! I just started digging further into this and it seems that you also reached out to our support team who added you to a bug where the Stripe New Payment Trigger isn’t returning metadata when Zap runs live. It looks as though that issue is still ongoing but we’ll be sure to email you as soon as it’s fixed.

Hopefully that workaround of adding a delay action to the Zap will continue keep things running until that’s sorted. Please do reach out again if we can help with anything else in the meantime. 🙂