Best answer

Square invoice error: This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice. Please create a new order and try again.

I’m trying to create a zap that will connect to Square to create an invoice. I’m getting the following error:

Failed to create an invoice in Square

This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice. Please create a new order and try again.

I also noticed that there is no way to put an amount or an item in the zap integration to square which I find weird…

Any help appreciated

icon

Best answer by Danvers 15 September 2022, 16:53

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey @Rachel Harper ,

Can you share a screenshot of your Square Action configuration?

Absolutely, @jayeshkumarbhatia here you go:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hey, Not sure why you are getting this error. I checked the API doc of Square to create invoice and it looks to me that an input field of order_id is missing in the action thus this might be causing the error.

Can you try to make custom API calls via Webhooks by Zapier on this API?

Below this the screenshot for Square API Doc - Create Invoice. There is an input field of adding order_id but this input field is missing on Zapier.

I reached out to support looking for help on the same issue. are you recommending @jayeshkumarbhatia to use webhooks to create the entire invoice OR just pull the order_id for the zap to proceed, guess i’m just a little confused on this one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, @sampsonlocke

I hope you don’t mind I did some digging and it looks like you were able to get this sorted using all webhooks which is amazing. Stoked to hear you got this resolved. 🎉

Echoing the original issue here. Looks like we’re having the same problem but no definitive ‘answer’ to solve. You mention we would have to created a webhook API call, is this ‘step’ done AFTER the ‘create invoice in square’ step? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi everyone!

I have an update on this that I wanted to share with you. Our amazing colleagues in Support did some digging and have found that sometimes the error text This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice. Please create a new order when there’s a problem that’s unrelated to the Order ID (eg one of the fields has the wrong type of data in it).

If you see this error in your Zap, please contact the Support Team so they can look at the back end logs of your Zap to track down the correct error message for you. 

I know that this is frustrating and we do have an open request asking the team to change that error message to reflect the actual error. We’ll update this post when we have some news on that front. 

This issue made me switch from square to stripe - so much easier to integrate

Userlevel 1

I just can’t get this to work. It should be a no-brainer. I also don’t know why I have to have an Order ID to create an invoice in Square. I don’t when I’m actually in Square. I create a customer, create and invoice, send it on over. 

Is there a step-by-step guide to getting this to work? I tried the “create paid order” hack - no go.

Userlevel 1

I would just like to echo the sentiment of many people on this thread, that it’s extremely frustrating when some thing that should be rather simple just took hours of my day. I’ve read through all these related forums and there’s no declarative understanding or solution from either  zapier  team or square. 

As someone who is previously used Stripe, the square process is counterintuitive to me, but I’ve reviewed all the docs, I’ve tried the beta manual api action which returns a properly generated order Id but no matter what I do it says it’s invalid for invoice creation. 

I will take whatever steps are needed whether webhooks or creating a paid order, however that just seems counterintuitive that you would be invoicing on a paid order. I’m just reluctant to spend more of my time on this extremely frustrating integration. Would someone from the zapier team finally provide some declarative instruction here? 

additionally, after reading through all these threads, it’s annoying that the zapier team will either shunt people to a private conversation with support and not follow up with the community or makes a statement like we have fix this without any substance to it. I would greatly appreciate attention to this integration. 

Userlevel 1

I would just like to echo the sentiment of many people on this thread, that it’s extremely frustrating when some thing that should be rather simple just took hours of my day. I’ve read through all these related forums and there’s no declarative understanding or solution from either  zapier  team or square. 

I was going to pay for a Zapier subscription but since I couldn’t get this to work we’re just doing a free level with one zap to create a customer in Square when a form is completed. So… no money from me!

Yeah after reading this thread...IDK whther to blame Square of Zapier for complicating something as simple as creating an invoice.

Same issue, same frustration. 

I get that the process of creating an invoice from an order is complex, but it is incredibly frustrating that ten months after this thread was created there are still no meaningful error text for the order_id message in Zapier itself.

I have been in a back-and-forth email conversation with a (frankly unbelievably patient) member of Zapier staff for a week now, in which I make some changes and run the Zap, message him asking him to check the error logs, and after somewhere between a few hours and a working day, he gets back to me with whatever the real new error is. This is not an efficient use of either the Zapier staff’s resources or mine. 

Could someone from Zapier please offer the community either a likely timescale for fixing the error text, an alternative way of checking the error logs, or a clearer step-by-step process to get this working? I am reaching the end of my free Zapier trial, and unless I can find a reasonable solution to this I will be unable either to use Zapier or, unfortunately, to recommend it to others.

Same here, this seems crazy to have been an issue for so long. I have revisited this issue so many times over the last year with no resolution. Can somebody please fix this!