Best answer

Square error: This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice. Please create a new order and try again.

Userlevel 1

Does anyone know how to create an OPEN order in SQUARE (the only action offered by ZAPIER is to create a PAID order) so that I can create an invoice? I always get this error message: “This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice. Please create a new order and try again”. My trigger is from EXCEL or 123FORMBUILDER. Your help would be VERY appreciated.

icon

Best answer by SamB 17 November 2023, 17:28

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Claude 

Good question.

That will likely involve the Square API: https://developer.squareup.com/reference/square/orders-api/create-order

Zap action: Square - API Request

If you need help consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert: https://zapier.com/experts/automation-ace

Userlevel 1

Thanks Troy for your reply. Of course, I would prefer a solution not involving Square API. There may be a simpler solution. I sure hope so. Anybody?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Claude 

Try using this Zap action: Square - Find Order

Give the option to make a new order if not found and set the status.

Userlevel 1

Unfortunately, I get the same error message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Claude 

Please post screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured.

Please post screenshots of the encountered error too.

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

Hope that can help…

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Claude 

In step 5, seems like you would want to map either the Order ID variable from step 3 OR step 4.

Userlevel 1

Sorry for de delay, I was in a meeting.

The the order ID showing in step 5 is the order ID coming from step 4… I’ve been working on this issue for weeks… I’m starting to go crazy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Claude 

Try mapping the Order ID from a previous step.

Currently it’s a static value, which may be the issue.

Similar to how you have a dynamic Date value mapped for the Payment Due Date from Step 1

Userlevel 1

I get the ORDER ID from step 4 (Find order in Square)… am I doing it wrong? By the way, thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Claude! 👋

Hope you don’t mind me hopping in to see if I can help with this. 🙂

It looks like the ID is correct but as Troy mentioned instead of typing it in you’d want to select the field itself. This will ensure that every time the Zap runs it will take the ID supplied by the Find Order action, instead of using the same ID number every time.

To do that you’ll need to click on the ID field from the dropdown menu to select it:
fe9dc9f1b61136e4325a5b461af9e23b.png

Can you give that a try then test the Create Invoice action again and let us know if that gets it working correctly?

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam,

As you can see in my reply to Troy, that’s excactly what I am doing but it’s not working…

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for getting back to me @Claude.

When you click on the ID field that appears in the dropdown menu it should then add the ID field from step 4 into the Order ID field and look like this: 
3de8ad10e9f118c5c25a653d44d92125.png
Can I just double-check, is the issue that it’s not adding that ID field as shown above and is instead adding just the ID number itself into that field?

Or is the issue more that it is selecting that field correctly, but is still running into a “This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice” error?

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Userlevel 1

Hi Sam,

I made a new Zap and, as you can see, in step 4 on the order ID field I add a search step to find the order (step 3). Than, I map the order ID from step 3. So my issue is that it seems like it is selecting the field correctly, but I still get “This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice” error? 

When I create an order in SQUARE, I have to select a payment… my invoice is open so I use both CHECK and OTHERS and both are not working. Could this be an issue?

Userlevel 1

Square error: This order ID is not valid for creating an invoice. Please create a new order and try again.

Just received that email from Zapier Support… Prioritization is largely dependent on the number of customers affected… so if you are facing the same issue, please report the bug to Zapier support.

Thank you everyone,

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for following up here with this information, @Claude!

I’m so glad our Support team were able to find the cause of the error you’re running into here. On our side, I’ve linked that bug report to this topic in Community so we can begin tracking affected users here too.

Sorry to not have a more immediate solution for you here. If we come across any workarounds in the meantime we’ll be sure to share them here in the Community! 🙂

Userlevel 1

Thanks for your help Sam and Troy… much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey folks! 👋

Just following up to share that the bug report relating to the error being discussed here was closed recently. I expect you’ve already seen the email update that was sent out but if not here’s the main details from it:

“following up because you reached out to our support team about the Create Invoice action for our Square integration. That action had been giving incorrect error messages. For some errors, we showed an error message about "order ID is not valid for creating an invoice" even though the Square API responded with a different error.

Good news, we were able to update our Square integration so the correct error message is shown -- both while testing your Zap, as well as in a live Zap run. That should help when trying to resolve issues with this Create Invoice action.”

If you're still running into any issues with this though please do let the Support team know. But in the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡