Question

Slack Workflow Builder: “An error occurred executing a workflow step you own. Check out your workflow for further details.”

• 13 October 2022
  • 13 replies

Hi all!

I am hoping to create a Slack submission form that will populate an Asana task based off the responses to the form. When the workflow builder reaches Zapier, the task fails and I get this message: 

“An error occurred executing a workflow step you own. Check out your workflow for further details.”

I get no further error message or error id, and I am a little confused as to what happens because I am able to test the connection to my workspace and my project with no (noted) issues in the Zapier step. The test returns as complete with no errors, but when I try to actually run the form, I get caught at that step. 

Any help is appreciated!

13 replies

As a quick update, I also tried to build this workflow in the Zapier web interface, and Zapier cannot even locate the channel I hope to place the workflow bot in. Is this related?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @zachco 

you need to put the Zapier bot in the channel first then build the zap

@MohSwellam Sorry, this is my first time building with Zapier. Can you elaborate what that means? As in I have to connect Zapier to the specific channel first? How would I do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @zachco 

This resource might be able to help you. 

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8495993391629#about-slack-s-integration-0-0

For example, are you Owner and Admin on Slack ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachco 

Good question.

Likely related to the issues Slack is having per the Slack Status page: https://status.slack.com/

@MohSwellam I have already connected Zapier and Slack, it should be authorized on my end. From the web interface, it can’t find the channel I am hoping to install the Zap in

Edit: both my test connection to Slack and Asana run successfully in my “My Apps” page in my user dashboard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @zachco! Welcome to the Zapier Community & congrats on building your first Zap! ⚡ As Troy mentioned, you may have run into a temporary issue with Slack yesterday.

Are you able to now:

1. locate the specific Slack channel you’d like to use?
  2. run a successful test of your Trigger & Action?

If you’re unable to do either of the above, share some screenshots (void of personal info) of your set up and we’ll investigate further!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @zachco 

Try clicking the [LOAD MORE] button.

Hi all, thank you for the support. I still am finding these same issues. I’ll attach a few photos to help out…

The first photo is an attempt to build the Zap in browser. I have typed the beginning of my channel name and clicked [Load More] a few times, but it still does not seem to register the channel. I cannot move froward without that connection. 

The next two photos show my attempt to build the Zap in Slack. One shows the errors that I get every time I try and run the Zap in a Workflow Builder setup, the other shows that the “Create Task with Asana” test runs without failure when I am prompted to test it. It then lets me save, but then throws those errors when I try and submit the form. 

Hopefully this helps me to reach a solution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachco 

If you know the Slack Channel ID (not the Slack Channel Name), then you can use the ‘CUSTOM’ mapping option to set a static value for the Slack Channel ID.

To find the Slack Channel ID, right click on the Slack Channel Name, then go to the Copy option.

I did that, and the setup says it works. But when I go to test the trigger, I get a channel_not_found error

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@zachco 

Would need to see screenshots with how your Zap step is configured in addition to the error message.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @zachco!

How are you getting on? Were you able to set up the trigger for your Zap? If not could you please share some screenshots of how the Slack step is set up. Don’t forget to remove or obscure any personal or private information in any screenshot you share in the community (eg full name, email address, etc).

One quick note - if you are using the custom value for a Slack Channel, you need to use the channel ID, not the channel name. I shared how you can find and enter the channel ID for a Slack Channel in this post: 

Let us know if you still need some help!