Question

Slack flow to create a folder with a specific name not working and getting an error.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi guys, I’m trying to create a flow that does the following:

Can you create a flow that does this. When I send in a message in private slack that says "Create a folder for me, name it xxxx" It will automactly create that folder and according to the name I mentioned in the message.

But it is showing this error in step 2. Any idea on how to resolve this issue? And if my flow was correct?

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @greysonz1997 

Good question.

In the Filter step condition, you’ll want to remove the ()

It’s a warning (not an error), indicating the Zap would not have continued based on the test data from Step 1 that you are using.

Help article about how to change the trigger test data: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496310366093

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Troy, so I changed it this what the step 2 looks like now. However in step 3, it seems like it is still not finding the slack message that contain the keywords “Create a folder for me, name it”. When I test it in step 4, the folder created in goolge is called “true”. Please see screenshots below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

No screenshots were posted.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Apologies. Please see attached below

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

You may need to remap the condition variable in Step 2.

You may need to remap the Input field in Step 3.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just remapped, and still has the same result when i run test in the last step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

The variable you have mapped in step 4 is indicating there was a match found (true).

Try mapping a different variable from the output of Step 3.

Userlevel 1
Badge

These are all the options I have to choose from, i tried all of them under “extract the folder name from the message”,  but non of them give’s me the correct folder name in Gdrive…

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997

Try this regex pattern:

\((.*?)\)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Where exactly do i put this pattern after or on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @greysonz1997 👋

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in to see if I can lend a hand with this! 

You’d want to put the Regex pattern that Troy suggested directly into the Pattern field on that Formatter action:
13847faa321bd048081ccf78bc62f55a.png

Can you give that a try and let us know if that allows it to extract the folder name from the message?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Oh wow, it worked. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yay! That’s fabulous news @greysonz1997. I’m so pleased that Regex pattern Troy suggested that did the trick! 😁🎉

Userlevel 1
Badge

One more question. The folder is created now, but it has this “_” after the name I send in the slack. Is there a way to get ride of the “_”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

We would need to see updated screenshots with how your GDrive Zap step is configured.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Here is screenshot for each steps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

This was the Text value from Slack with had a trailing _

This was the extracted pattern value from the Formatter step which had the trailing _.

Bad DATA IN = Bad DATA OUT

Userlevel 1
Badge

That’s weird… Because in the slack message I sent there isn’t a “_” anywhere, but it is in Zapier. (See screenshot below)

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

The examples from Slack don’t show the example pulled into the Zap trigger:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@greysonz1997 

The closing parenthesis looks to be italicized.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Gotcha, it worked now. Thank you!