Best answer

Slack error: Unable to load choices We're having trouble loading 'Channel' data. 504 Gateway timed out.

• 18 September 2022
  • 8 replies

Hey,

whan trying to add a new Zap to work with slack i get this error when loading the channels:

Unable to load choices
We're having trouble loading 'Channel' data. <html> <head><title>504 Gateway Time-out</title></head> <body> <center><h1>504 Gateway Time-out</h1></center> <hr><center>nginx</center> </body> </html> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page --> <!-- a padding to disable MSIE and Chrome friendly error page -->

Any idea what can be the issue?

icon

Best answer by jasonk 4 October 2022, 21:02

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hey, @Via !

It looks like we have other users experiencing 504 errors when searching for channels, so I’ve added you to the bug report. I don’t have a timeline for when it’ll be fixed, but we’ll notify you once it is!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Whoops - I hit send too quickly! One thing other users have noticed is that if you enter a channel ID as a custom value instead, that works. ​Can you please give that a try and let me know how it works out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey there! It looks like you are experiencing a Gateway Timeout. This tends to happen when working with  a large amount of data or a large file. Sometimes there’s just too much data to process in the allotted time. Is this error showing up in the Trigger step? If yes, here’s what you can do:

👉 Reduce the amount of data that you are working with, either in your trigger, or whats uploaded in the app you are using. 

If this doesn’t help, please reach back out and we will see what further options we have to explore! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey, @Via !

It looks like we have other users experiencing 504 errors when searching for channels, so I’ve added you to the bug report. I don’t have a timeline for when it’ll be fixed, but we’ll notify you once it is!

Hi there, this was a bug in our Slack integration.  We’ve fixed it as of today so you should be able to load all the channels in the drop down.  Keep in mind though that to do this we had to only fetch a portion of the channels at a time, so you may have to click “Load More” to keep loading more channels if you don’t find the one you are looking for at first.

Userlevel 1

Hey, @Via !

Hi there, this was a bug in our Slack integration.  We’ve fixed it as of today so you should be able to load all the channels in the drop down.  Keep in mind though that to do this we had to only fetch a portion of the channels at a time, so you may have to click “Load More” to keep loading more channels if you don’t find the one you are looking for at first.

It seems like there’s still a limit of 200 channels one can load via the “Load More” button. Any advice for folks who’re attempting to connect Zapier to a slack workspace with more than 200 channels? I work for a pretty big company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

One thing other users have noticed is that if you enter a channel ID as a custom value instead, that works. 

Hey there, @matthugs
Are you able to try @MichelleS recommendation for this? 

Essentially, you would use the Custom value option for the Channel field to select the channel by typing in its channel ID number.

Then skip the test for that Slack step, as you’d likely still end up running into the “channel_not_found” error. Then switch the Zap on, and carry out a live test by doing whatever action would trigger the Zap to run.

Can you give that a try and let us know if that works?

Userlevel 1

One thing other users have noticed is that if you enter a channel ID as a custom value instead, that works. 

Hey there, @matthugs
Are you able to try @MichelleS recommendation for this? 

Essentially, you would use the Custom value option for the Channel field to select the channel by typing in its channel ID number.

Then skip the test for that Slack step, as you’d likely still end up running into the “channel_not_found” error. Then switch the Zap on, and carry out a live test by doing whatever action would trigger the Zap to run.

Can you give that a try and let us know if that works?

Hey @christina.d! Thanks for your reply; that works! Got a little turned around trying to type the value in the “search all available fields” rather than in the textbox you indicated with an arrow (it’s a bit unintuitive for me that the text field is only freely editable once you click a completely different UI element), but it looks like this works! Thanks a bunch for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Awesome, glad to hear you were able to get this rolling, @matthugs!

Definitely appreciate that feedback and appreciate ya sharing that! I’ll be sure to pass it along to the team. 🙂

Thanks again and happy zapping. ⚡️