Question

Run Zap on existing data in a Google Sheet

• 6 September 2023
  • 5 replies

I have set up a zap triggered when a row is added/edited. In the past, I have been able to run the zap on the historical data of the zap, but now it seems like that feature is no longer available. How do I run a zap on rows of data in an existing Google Sheet?

I am not sure if this matters but this zap is set to be triggered  “instantly”

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @ZipZapZop 

Good question.

This may be why…

The "Updated Spreadsheet Row" trigger stopped triggering

If you're watching for changes to a column, we only see new values in that column. If you update the column of an existing row to a value that Zapier previously saw in that column, in that row, we won't see the new value. You will need to either choose a column that will only have unique values, or make a new one which will.

For example, if you had X in the Trigger column, then changed it to Y, the Zap would trigger. If you then changed it back to X it would not trigger again, because the Zap has already seen X in that column.

Thank you, but there was also a zapier feature where I could select “run this zap on the existing spreadsheet data” but now I can’t see that option. How to I access that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@ZipZapZop 

That option only shows for Zap app triggers are scheduled. (not instant triggers)

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

@ZipZapZop 

I think you’re thinking of Transfers. transfer.zapier.com

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

You could also set up a Zap that ran on updated rows on a particular column. In that case you could add a new column called “Trigger” and then set that column to true for every row you wanted the Zap to run on