Best answer

Rich text not correct in Google Docs

• 29 June 2023
  • 6 replies

I am trying to connect airtable to google docs, and everything is working except the fields with rich text. If the text contains links, it does not show correctly. It originally showed just a plain text, I used Formatter to format to HTML because the Zapier information says it supports HTML, that only put the literal html coding into the text area, I have tried markdown but that formats it incorrectly as well.

How can i go about adding rich text from airtable to a google doc?

icon

Best answer by ken.a 30 June 2023, 09:33

View original

6 replies

For more information - if I insert directly from Airtable, it inserts as markdown text “This is a test executive summary with a [link](https://google.com).” If I use formatter to convert it to html, it just inserts it as ”<p>This is a test executive summary with a <a href="https://google.com">hyperlink</a>.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @TMC-MSBA,

Welcome to the Community! 🎉

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing a detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Especially, the “Action” section of the Google Docs step that shows all of the fields? Here’s a screenshot of what I’m after:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @TMC-MSBA,

Thanks for the screenshot!

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Google Docs “Create Document from Template” action does not support HTML or Markdown when we're creating documents from a template. This came up in the context of hyperlinking a URL. The HTML/Markdown is just passed through as plaintext:

f943caa52b89dc718dace182a848cafe.png
(view larger)

We do have an open feature request to add HTML support to the "Create Document from Template" action. I have added your email address to that open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Also, it seems like there are no workaround for this at the moment. That said, you might want to reach out to our certified Zapier Experts and see if they can help you with this one they are able to create a custom integration (as long as the API of the app allows it). You can reach our Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts.

I wish I have something better to show you. Let me know how I can assist you further. Always happy to lend a hand. 😊

Hi @TMC-MSBA,

Thanks for the screenshot!

I did some digging into this, and it seems like Google Docs “Create Document from Template” action does not support HTML or Markdown when we're creating documents from a template. This came up in the context of hyperlinking a URL. The HTML/Markdown is just passed through as plaintext:

f943caa52b89dc718dace182a848cafe.png
(view larger)

We do have an open feature request to add HTML support to the "Create Document from Template" action. I have added your email address to that open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Also, it seems like there are no workaround for this at the moment. That said, you might want to reach out to our certified Zapier Experts and see if they can help you with this one they are able to create a custom integration (as long as the API of the app allows it). You can reach our Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts.

I wish I have something better to show you. Let me know how I can assist you further. Always happy to lend a hand. 😊

I’m having the same exact issue, could you add me to the feature request? Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Ricky AS,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I have added your vote to the open feature request. While we can’t provide an exact timeframe for the feature's implementation. We will keep you in the loop via email once the feature has been shipped.

Thank you!