Best answer

Return the Folder ID of a Google Drive folder when a new file is added to the Google Drive folder

• 29 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey Smartfolks! 

I am trying to use a Zap to return a folder ID which I will later use in Trello to search for the card with that ID. 

TRIGGER: a new file is created in Google Drive

ACTION: Find Folder in Google Drive 

I guessed at the Folder Name as 1. Parent id: from the first step but that didn’t seem to work in testing the action I got this:

Basically I need the folder ID so that I can use it to search for the right card in Trello.

I hope that is understandable somehow!

Thanks!!

icon

Best answer by Jillian 30 January 2023, 15:29

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hey @millermiller!

Smartfolks? We try. Might not always succeed. 🤣

It looks like you’re getting caught in a bit of a known feature request which is that the Zap returns the folder ID, but it’s only possible to search by the folder name. There’s a ton of great info here along with a workaround: 

Let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with in the meantime. Hopefully we’ll see a nice permanent fix to this in the near future!

Userlevel 1

Hi Jillian,

The Folder Name would actually be ideal for me because my trello card will have the same name as the Google Drive Folder… however when I look for the Folder Name from the trigger in step 1, I don’t see an element called “1: Folder Name: White Banana” 

That is why I was going down the Folder ID rabbit hole. Am I missing a way to extract the Folder Name from the trigger of step 1 where the new file was added to Google Drive?

Thanks,

Kathryn.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @millermiller! Jillian is correct here in that this is a feature request. It sounds like you should be able to return those fields (ID or name) from the “New File” trigger but you’re not missing anything obvious, I promise. It’s just not possible at the moment. My colleague Sam offered a workaround in that thread but I think that’s the best we’re going to get for right now.

In the meantime, I’ve gone ahead and added your vote for this feature request so as soon as it’s available, we’ll email you to let you know. If we have any updates in the meantime, we’ll be adding them to the main thread Jillian linked to in her reply.