Question

Response from OpenAI not being added into Google Sheets correctly

• 17 February 2023
  • 6 replies

The task i’m trying to complete

Using the information in column B > G send a prompt to the GPT and add a response in column H. Each row is independant.

What i’ve tried

I can get it to run once but then updating the row, adding a new row, new sheet, anything does nothing.

If google sheets isnt the best to use, happy to use something else, would even be open to using a google form ti input data into google sheets for it to feed GPT.

I’m a bit lost at the moment as to how this can be achieved.

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @JohnV, welcome to the Community!

It sounds like the Zap is adding the response from OpenAI is being added into column H on a new row instead of the same row that triggered the Zap, is that correct?

If so, then I’d suggest using the Update Spreadsheet Row action instead of the Create Spreadsheet Row action. To ensure the correct row is updated, in the Row field you’ll want to select the Row ID or Row Number as that will tell the Zap which row needs to be updated. For example:

5dfba553864bbf5a801675382d85ea7e.png
Can you try switching to the Update Spreadsheet Row action and let us know whether that fixes it? 

Hey,

It’s adding it in the correct spot, however when I add a new row to the sheet, even after half an hour it hasn’t picked up that second line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @JohnV 

Please provide detailed screenshots with how your Zap steps are configured in order for us to have more context, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Ah ok, so the issue is that the Zap isn’t triggering when you add a new row to the spreadsheet. Am I understanding that correctly here, @JohnV

If yes, have you made any structural changes (like adding, moving columns or deleting rows) to the Google Sheet while the Zap was switched on? Asking as that sort of thing can sometimes cause a disconnect between the spreadsheet and the Zap. So I’d suggest turning the Zap off and back on again to refresh the connection to the spreadsheet, then try adding a new row to see if it’s then able to trigger.

If that’s not the issue here, as Troy also mentioned, can you please share some screenshots showing the set up of your Zap and the spreadsheet involved? We can’t see into your Zaps so having those screenshots would be super useful to us helping to troubleshoot this. Please remember to remove/hide any private information from them first (like email addresses, names, phone numbers etc.).

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hey,

I got frustrated with it, deleted it, reset it up, deleted it and reset it multiple times over the day as I realised it wasn’t working.

@SamB i’ll give that a go, I don’t believe I did, but i’ll set the sheet up, leave it, connect it and see how it goes.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Hey there @JohnV - sorry to hear about the frustration with your Zap, I hear you that sometimes it can be important (if not altogether cathartic) to delete and restart. But I did want to check in and see if the new setup with the sheet connected, and not moving or making structural changes solved your problem? Let us know or if you need help continuing to troubleshoot, we’re here! 

Best, Rachael