Best answer

Quoted printable encoding messing up HTML emails for Apple clients

• 21 March 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m sending basic HTML emails using the gmail app.  They work great, but recently for some clients using Apple devices, they report that the email comes to them completely blank.  Upon inspecting those emails, I see the “=” in HTML code for images and links replaced with “3D”.  A little web searching revealed that this is due to “quoted printable encoding”.   When I look at the emails received from gmail clients, the same 3D’s are there, they are just interpreted properly as “=” and the html code is rendered properly.

Is anyone else having this issue?  In summary, some of my Apple-using clients are not getting properly rendered HTML emails.

icon

Best answer by ken.a 21 March 2023, 23:42

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @VillageCo 

Good question.

Can you provide screenshots with how the HTML is configured in the Zaps?

Can you provide screenshots for Apple and non-Apple email renderings?

Userlevel 1

Okay, I’ve attached two emails - one for apple, and one for gmail.  The code is similar, but the rendering is different - there is nothing to show for the Apple one, it just is a blank screen.  Gmail looks as expected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@VillageCo

Since the email body HTML is coming from an Airtable variable it may be that the HTML is not properly configured or encoded in the Airtable field.

Also, Airtable Automations can be used to send emails via Gmail and Outlook, so that may be a workaround to consider with the HTML email template configured in the step that has variables mapped vs configured in a Table Field.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for looking at this, Troy.  Ugh, I wish it was the HTML - yes, you caught an error on that email (that’s from when I configured the zap last year) but I’m hearing from folks consistently with Apple clients that they don’t see the email rendered, while the exact same email is read by others.  Attached is an example.  Many recipients, most can read, only a few say they can’t.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @VillageCo,

I did some digging into this, and it seems like we’ve been running into a known bug from the Gmail integration. Our team is aware of the issue and we're working with Gmail on a fix. I've added your email address as another affected user. That does a few things:

- Bring this to the attention of the integration developers

- Help track and prioritize fixes

- Allows us to notify you via email if/when this is fixed

Unfortunately, I do not have an ETA, but I’ve added you to the list of users affected by this issue so we can let you know as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks! 😊

Userlevel 1

@ken.a Thank you for the follow-up!  I’m kinda relieved it’s a known issue and needs to be addressed on your end. I also believe some emails are working properly for Apple users, so I can work on identifying those and comparing to figure out the difference.

Userlevel 1

This post has been edited by a moderator to remove personal information. Please remember that this is a public forum and to remove any sensitive information prior to posting.

@ken.a  Here’s a fresh example - I attached the original email code. Note that the email she forwards me looks fine - so the error must be on the client side….

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @VillageCo 

That can also be a possibility that the error must be on the client’s side, but we’ve added you to the bug report, so once it's fixed, we’ll notify you.