Best answer

QuickBooks Online error: Duplicate Name Exists Error: The name supplied already exists

• 21 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Sending a contact through the Zapier step, “Find Customer in QuickBooks Online,” creates the following error:
“Duplicate Name Exists Error: The name supplied already exists.”

See first screenshot.

The Zap is up to create a new contact IF no contact is found based on the contact’s email. See next screenshot.

Why this issue? There can be tons of contacts with the same name, and it shouldn’t be any issue.

I found at least 1 related but closed topic from 3 years ago, which seems to describe more or less the same issue. Can this be fixed? And if so, how?

icon

Best answer by Troy Tessalone 21 November 2023, 23:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Funnelmatix 

Good question.

Customer Name Already in Use

Zapier uses the Display Name as a unique handle for finding customers inside of QuickBooks.
If you attempt to create a new customer, employee, and vendor that reuses an existing Display Name you will experience an error.

Hi @Funnelmatix 

Good question.

Customer Name Already in Use

Zapier uses the Display Name as a unique handle for finding customers inside of QuickBooks.
If you attempt to create a new customer, employee, and vendor that reuses an existing Display Name you will experience an error.

@Troy Tessalone Thank you, I wasn’t aware of this. As the display name is not a required field, I suppose the easiest would be to leave it blank and have Quickbooks create a unique one itself? Is that what you would recommend?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Funnelmatix 

When in doubt, test it out!

@Troy Tessalone  Removing the settings for the display name did not solve this issue. It persists the same way as before. Any other ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Funnelmatix 

You may have to add additional Zap step logic to first find a record based on the name, then use paths to handle whether to create or update.