Skip to main content
Best answer

Problems getting Anthropic / Claude's Memory Key to work

• 5 June 2024
  • 4 replies

I’m trying to use the Memory Key field to remember a conversation with Anthropic’s Claude across several steps of a Zap. 

In step 3 below, I include an interview transcript, which I then want to reference again in step 5.

In both steps, I’ve set the Airtable Record Id as the Memory Key (the information is pulled from an Airtable entry). In step 5, I then reference the transcript I’ve inserted in step 3 in this way:

“Take the INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT provided earlier in this conversation and compare it against the output you generated earlier in this conversation.”

However, as output from step 5, I get this from Claude:

“I apologize for the confusion, but I don't have access to an earlier interview transcript or output from this conversation.”

Is there anything else I need to do for this to work besides setting the Memory Key? For example, do I need to explicitly reference the key in the User Message field of step 5?

Thanks in advance for your help. 🙏

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @timmetz-nl, thanks for joining the Community here! 😁

Hmm, for a Memory Key field supplying a unique value like that Airtable Record ID should be fine for allowing Anthropic to reference details from a past conversation. When you’re supplying the transcript is it clearly referenced as being an “Interview Transcript”? Just wondering if maybe the AI isn’t recognising it as an interview transcript as it views it as something else. And instead of saying “against the output you generated earlier in this conversation” maybe you need to use a different term like “completion” or “response”? It could be that it doesn’t consider it’s response to be an output and is having trouble interpreting what you’re asking it to do.

Often with AI it can take a fair amount of trial and error to get it interpreting things correctly.

Can you try wording your instructions for Anthropic in a different way to see if that gives better results?

Thanks Sam. I’ve tried a lot of different ways but didn’t work. Zapier support came back to me though and said it’s a bug with the Anthropic integration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for letting me know @timmetz-nl. Glad to hear the Support team were able to identify the cause of these issues!

Sorry we aren’t able to provide an immediate solution or workaround for the bug at this time. I’ll keep an eye on that bug report you were added to and if I see any workarounds suggested or updates shared there, I’ll be sure to follow up here to let you know! 🙂

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@timmetz-nl Reid here from the AI Product team at Zapier. Are you also using that same Record ID field for the Memory Key in Step 5?