Best answer

Zapier Not Detecting Tasks Added in Google Tasks via Google Doc

• 14 December 2022
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 3

Google Tasks now has a number of ways of adding tasks. 

1. Direct add
  2. Add from gMail using the make task button
  3. Add in an arbitrary Google Doc by creating a task checkmark then assigning

Zapier correctly detects new tasks that are added with methods 1 and 2, but does not ‘see’ tasks added in the third way, which means I can’t reliably use the integration to sync tasks.

Has anyone come across this? I assume it’s a bug in the Zapier integration or maybe Google Tasks presents tasks added that way slightly differently?

icon

Best answer by christina.d 17 December 2022, 00:12

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @spm1001 

Good question.

Might be best to open a ticket with Zapier Support for them to have a deeper look at the GTasks Zap app integration and provide feedback: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey there, friends! I wanted to share some of what was discovered in the support ticket for anyone who may be following along!

As @spm1001 discovered, the “New Task” trigger doesn’t trigger on new tasks added from Google Docs. It looks like this feedback has been shared with our team before though and there is an active feature request out! OP has been added to the list of interested users and we’ll email if and when that gets implemented. 🙂

We’ll also be sure to keep this thread updated as well. Thanks so much for flagging this in community!

Userlevel 1

Yes, please let me know when this has been fixed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @Laura from SI

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once available. Thanks!

Userlevel 1

Great, thanks!

And if this is helpful:

1. In Zapier, I created a Zap that when a new item appeared in my Google ‘My Tasks’ list (trigger), a new record would be created in my AirTable base (action)
  2. From a Google Doc ‘Check list’, I assigned my self the tasks and they appropriately populated in my Google ‘My Tasks’ list but did NOT make a record in AT (a bug - but you know this already)
  3. I tried a work-around by changing my zap to run from a different task list I created called ‘For Laura to Assign in AT’ in Goggle tasks. I thought I could then go into goggle ‘My Tasks’ list and simply change the task to the new list and the Zap would then trigger and create the Air Table record.  But sadly, that did not work either. 
    1. BUT, if I manually copied the ‘My Tasks’ task (cut and paste) into the ‘For Laura to Assign in AT’, the zap triggers properly and the AirTable records are created.

Hope this helps! Having this kind of workflow function properly will be a HUGE timesaver for our organization.

Thanks,

Laura

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks for sharing you workaround, @Laura from SI! 🙂

Can I vote for this feature request as well? Seems like there isn’t any tool out there that is triggered from a Google Docs task add, currently :( 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @mebersole 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll notify you via email once available. Thanks!

Hi all,

Would also like to add my name to this special request.  As is, the zap actually isn’t functional.

Looks like this is a known Google API issue. Even the taskboard.com/app GTasks tool doesn’t show tasks added to Google Docs. 
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/246235262?pli=1

Hopefully Zapier can work around the issue as it’s been on Google’s plate for 2+ years now...

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hi @briann and @mebersole 

I’ve added you both for this feature request, and we’ll notify via email once there is an update. Thanks!

Can you please also add me to the feature request? @jammer.solijon 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Absolutely @jp-klv 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll  notify you via email once an update is readily available. Thanks.

@jammer.solijon can you add me to this feature request as well? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You got it, @megancrain! You’ve been added and we’ll keep you in the loop. 🙂

@jammer.solijon or @christina.d could you add my vote to this feature request as well? Do you know if it is something that is being worked on/is there a place where we can monitor the request?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hey @nbarton 

I’ve added your vote for this feature request, and we’ll  notify you via email once an update is readily available. Thanks.

@jammer.solijon @christina.d can I be added as well? Thank you!

@jammer.solijon @christina.d can I be added as well? Thank you! This would make a world of difference for our company if it were functional!

Userlevel 1

I ran into this same issue and used the email that google sends you when you’re assigned a task as a workaround! It’s a bit cumbersome and requires some paid Zapier features (Formatter, looping if you have multiple tasks per email) but it can be done. I took the easy way and used ChatGPT to parse the notification email (may require paying for OpenAI API) but you could parse the information using Zapier formatters as well. Here’s the template: https://zapier.com/shared/0a33990db862060bb26fc31191c2254783af9a67

Userlevel 1

I’d like this feature Google Dock Created Task Integration (to Google Tables) Zapier does not see this new task. Please up vote this feature request.  

Hello @christina.d -- I hope you’re doing well. Could you please add me to the notification list? This would be immensely helpful for our company!

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Alex A, @sens8try, @Titus, @laura.granville and @CliffC! 👋

Really sorry for the delay in a follow up here! I can confirm that your votes have all been added to the feature request. While we can't guarantee when or if it'll be implemented, we'll definitely notify you all by email once it has been.

In the meantime, it might be worth giving the helpful workaround Titus shared a try, if you’ve not done so already! I did want to also mention that it’s also possible to use Email Parser by Zapier to trigger from the notification emails Google sends and parse the task information that way (see: Trigger Zaps from new parsed emails for more details. Hope that helps! 

Can you please also add me to the feature request? Thx!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Of course, @1es! 🙂

I’ve added your vote as well. We can’t make any promises as to when or if this might be added. But you’ll get an email from us once this functionality gets added to the Google Tasks app.