Best answer

Posting Slack Messages as a bot vs. Free Plan && @channel notices

• 5 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I am able to use the Slack action “Send Channel Message” to post a message to a public channel in a Pro Workspace; post as a bot; AND use the text string, <!channel> to invoke a channel notification.

I am unable to do so in a Free plan woorkspace.

In the free plan workspace I am able to send NOT as a bot, just as an user account (a workspace owner & admin account.)

I’m just looking for confirmation:

Does Slack’s Free plan NOT support automated message posting as a bot using the @channel notification via Zapier?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by ken.a 8 February 2024, 12:16

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @mixelpix,

I was able to replicate your question, and it seems like I was able to use the @channel notification as a bot via Zapier on a free workspace.

8602409f5a96a15e3f95ef82c7d512db.png
(view larger)

Would you mind sharing a screenshot of the Zap setup for me to double-check?

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks @ken.a ,
Action: Send Channel Message in Slack
Channel: #zap-testing (we’d prefer to post the actual message in #general)
Msg: (see pic)
Auto-Expand Links? Yes
Link Usernames and Channel Names? Yes
Send as bot: yes
Send Channel Message: no

Note in the test step, the <!channel> is converted to <@channel> (see pic - pink highlight) but there is no linking of it to the notice (it remains text, not a yellow mention)

Lastly, I am able to do this as a User, and not a bot.  Toggling Send Channel Message has no effect (this is just intended for a top post); and toggling Link User & Channel Name has no effect.

I appreciate the help - any chance you could share your working configuration for posting an @channel notice to a public channel (ideally #general) in a Free Plan workspace?

Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

@ken.a - also of note: the Messaging Permissions config for the free workspace:

I am unaware of any other settings which would impact this effort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @mixelpix,

Thanks for the additional information here.

I did some testings on my end, and it seems like if the Workspace permissions is set to Workspace Owners and Admins only. The Zap won’t be able to use the @channel notification as seen on this screenshot.

Slack Workspace Permissions:
d60751163232885bbe346e2870863f77.png
(view larger)

My Zap’s “Message” field setup:

a1072d0420ccc66ea72fb6b532d11760.png
(view larger)

Result:

7c98061bcccb043eb33e602818080d66.png
(view larger)

However, if the permission is set to “Default”. The Zap is able to use the @channel mention function.

Slack Workspace Permissions:

65ef78028b6b9d4394f322ebd321550f.png
(view larger)

Result:

06657b79fc7046d2b6c826e2fd715e81.png
(view larger)

Hopefully, this points you to the right direction!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks @ken.a - super helpful!

Curious - is it possible to configure the Zapier connection so it has authorization as a workspace admin or owner?

Context: an online high school community & we’d prefer to not give all the members access to @channel use.

Kindest regards!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @mixelpix,

Unfortunately, that’s not possible at the moment. However, we do have an existing feature request for that functionality and I have added your vote to the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

In the meantime, you might want to try Webhooks to connect to slack Slack using bot permissions. Please note that, Webhooks by Zapier is considered an advanced feature, so our support for it may be more limited. If you need help setting up Webhooks by Zapier, I’d recommend reaching out to one of our certified Zapier Experts here: https://zapier.com/experts

Hopefully, this helps!