Skip to main content

I have, what I would consider, a rediculously easy request for the Email Parser but have spent days and it refuses to learn what I want. I am literally tearing my hair out.

I’ve got a few spots on my website for people to enter a name and email address to be put on my newsletter. All I need the parser to do is recognise a firstname, possible lastname and email. I have spent two days entering in dozens upon dozens of fake email addresses and saving extra templates. It is inaccurate EVERY time. I fix up another template, tell it where the name and email address are, and the next time is just as bad. 

I have tried everything I can think of. My emails were being directed through a Gmail account. I thought that might be the problem, so I instead changed it so they were coming directly from webmail. Still no luck. It seems like the stupidest parser ever. Completely pointless. I have an autoforwarder set up so that these emails get automatically directed to the parser. 

My template looks like this:

The following message came from your website:

NAME:
{{firstname}} {{lastname}}

EMAIL:
{{email}}

Submitted From:
https://xxx (this is the page it was submitted from)

-------------------------

Any help will be greatly appreciated. All I am trying to do is get these submitted addresses into my email newsletter app. Surely it can’t take all of my sanity and a week out of my life to set up! Thank you in advance!

@sbowersdesign 

It sounds incredibly frustrating to deal with the Email Parser not recognizing the information you need, especially after spending so much time on it. Let’s see if we can simplify this process for you.

1. Template Structure: Your template looks good, but sometimes the parser can be sensitive to formatting. Make sure there are no extra spaces or unusual characters around the placeholders. You might want to try using just one line for the name, like this:

1NAME: {{firstname}} {{lastname}} 2EMAIL: {{email}}

2. Test with Simple Emails: Instead of using complex or varied email formats, try testing with very simple examples. For instance, use a straightforward name and email format to see if the parser picks it up correctly.

3. Check Forwarding Settings: Since you have an autoforwarder set up, double-check that the emails are being forwarded correctly to the parser. Sometimes, the forwarding process can alter the format slightly, which might confuse the parser.

4. Use the Parser’s Training Feature: After you create a new template, make sure to use the training feature effectively. Send a few test emails that match your template closely and then adjust the template based on the parser’s feedback.

5. Review Parser Logs: If the parser has logs or a history of processed emails, review those to see how it’s interpreting the incoming data. This can give you clues about what might be going wrong.

6. Consider Alternative Formats: If the parser continues to struggle, you might want to try a different format for the email content. For example, you could use bullet points or a more structured format to see if that helps.

If you try these steps and still run into issues, let us know what happens! We’re here to help you get this sorted out so you can focus on your newsletter.

Thank you, 

I have tried all of the above with exception of the formatting. Unfortunately I don’t have any way of controlling how the formatting comes in, as it’s coming from the email forms on my website builder. 

in not sure what you mean by.”check forwarding settings”. 

Thanks for any additional help!

Hi @sbowersdesign,

Before we dig deeper into this, could you please try using the Mailparser app instead? I believe the Mailparser app is a little bit more robust than the Email Parser by Zapier.

Here’s the link: https://zapier.com/apps/mailparser/integrations

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!