Question

Phone Call Action not working for Google Ads Offline Conversion Tracking

• 21 February 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello all.

I am trying to set up Google Ads offline conversion tracking where the user identifier source is a Phone Number (rather than GCLID). Zapier does offer phone call conversion tracking in the ‘identifier source’ field of the integration. However, there seems to be a bug because the Zapier field for the conversion name only allows for “click” conversions in Google Ads, rather than phone conversions. So, I am unable to input the conversion name.

I hope that Zapier will update the API integration to allow a phone call conversion type to be selected from Google Ads, or for users to hard-code their own string (i.e., “phone call purchase”). Otherwise, are there any other workarounds that I could use to input the name of my conversion into that field? It appears that I would just need the flexibility to put my own text string into that field, and the integration would work out perfectly. 

Thanks!

Full breakdown of the error:

I selected Phone Number as the Conversion User Identifier Source:

Likewise, when creating the conversion action on Google Ads, I selected the option for API input from phone calls:

However, when I select the Conversion Action in the next step, Zapier forces me to select only a Conversion Action with an Import from Clicks event. I cannot select the conversion from calls that I created to accept phone call conversions. 

I need to input my own value into the Conversion Action to match the conversion name that I input on Google (i.e., “phone purchase”). However, this does not allow me to do so, because the field validation forces the conversion action to be an “import from clicks” event. Any help is much appreciated. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @adj_65, welcome to the Community!

I’m not super familiar with Google Ads so I could be wrong here, but from your screenshot it looks as though the option to Track conversions from calls isn’t currently selected:
b21b9cb743ec4e753ce0e3a4bef5d2e1.png

So can you try selecting that option in Google, then reconnect your Google Ads account in the Zap to ensure it sees that change to the accounts settings. Then attempt to select Conversion Action again to see if the correct one then becomes available in the Zap?

If not, you could try using the Custom value option to select the correct conversion action. You can learn more about how to use a custom values here: Add custom values to dropdown menu fields in Zaps 

Looking forward to hearing from you on this!

Thank you very much for the speedy response. 

To your question, yes, I have selected “Track conversions from calls” and completed the wizard within Google Ads to create a conversion call tracking action called “phone purchase.” For testing purposes, I also completed the process to “Track conversions from clicks” to create a dummy conversion action, but only this dummy action for clicks is showing up in the Zapier search. For transparency, here is the “phone purchase” conversion action and the dummy action created on Google Ads:

I think you are right that the best option would be to use a Custom value option. I believe the only custom value we would need is a text string (‘phone purchase’) that is static and consistent for every record. That way, Google Ads will know to apply the incoming data to the “phone purchase” conversion action that was created to “track conversions from calls.”

For additional visibility, here is the documentation on Google Ads for the conversion name field:

A field with the conversion name “phone purchase” does not exist in either dataset. So, perhaps we would need to a step to create a field with the text string “phone purchase” on every record. Would you have any advice on how to do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m so sorry for the delay in my reply here @adj_65

Thanks for confirming that. 🙂 To select the conversion action using a custom value you’d need to supply the ID for it, which often is not the same as it’s name. The ID for an option in a dropdown field will usually appear in grey coloured text underneath the option’s name.

For example in the Conversion User Identifier Source field we can see that the IDs are different to the option names:

6d1d55a0d51bc16b72d6c004ae89bf21.png

Can you take a look at the Conversion Action field and confirm whether the ID for the “zapier dummy test: track conversions with clicks” conversion action exactly matches it’s name? If so then you should be able to enter the value of “phone purchase” into that Conversion Action field to select that specific conversion action.

If it doesn’t exactly match then can you take a look into the settings for those conversions to see if there’s anywhere that lists the ID for it? As you’ll need to know the ID for the conversion action in order to be able to select it via the custom value option.

Can you take a look into the above and let me know how you get on?