Skip to main content

I have a Google Form multi-select that isn’t returning both selected values in my zap.  The text to line step has the output I’m looking for:

And when I use that output in the next step, it pulls it in just fine:

Here’s the config for this step too;

But then the output only returns the first value:

I’ve checked the mapping is correct.  

Here are the logs for the POST on the last step:

Hi @johanna5 

Make sure the input values and the configured lookup table in the Zap step match EXACTLY.

Check for extra spaces. (leading/trailing)

I’ve done that and re-did it just now and still nothing :( 

@johanna5 

If the text string that is being split has a comma and a space, then you need to split by a comma and a space: :space:]

e.g. these are different

• A,B,C
  • A, B, C

@Troy Tessalone  the text to line item is putting that space there.  That isn’t causing an issue on another one of these that is working.  Maybe I’m not understanding - where do I need to add a comma and space?

@johanna5 

Post screenshots showing how your Formatter step that converts Text to Line Items is configured.

Post screenshots showing how your input data for that Formatter step is output from the Zap trigger step.

Text to Line Configuration: 

Output from the initial Google Form response:

Data into the Utilities - Table step:

Data Output from that step:

@johanna5 

The input value is separated by: ,,:space:]

Try using this Zap action: Formatter > Text > Split

Split by: ,,:space:]

Segment: Return all as Line Items

that didn’t work - I have one of these that is working and the only difference is that those options are all just one word.  Whereas the ones that aren’t working as all multiple words in the answers.  Does that ring a bell on what it could be?  I used co-pilot and it was insinuating that I needed to transform the text to string? 

@johanna5

I would double check how the values are configured on the GForm and how the Formatter steps are configured to make sure those are EXACT matches.

Check for extra spaces before/between/after.

You can do a browser search to see if the matches are exact.

@Troy Tessalone  I appreciate your help but I’ve done that over and over again and nothing is working.  I will continue to look for answers.  Thanks for the help.

@johanna5 

Logic overall is the same as your other Zap setup, so it’s just a matter of finding where the root issue is.

• data from GForms
  • data configured in the Zap Formatter steps
  • both

Hi @johanna5 👋

Just came across this and spotted that Support were able to help get this sorted so I wanted to follow up here to share the suggestions from the Support team in case it’s helpful to others that may stumble across this thread looking for a solution to this:

Okay, I see, that field is not a line item coming from Google Forms; it's actually a comma-separated list (they look identical).

What I did was add a Replace step at step 2 to replace ', ' with ','. That will remove the space that is forming at the second line (which is making the lookup table not find the second line):

?name=image.png

Now there is no space:

?name=image.png

We can use that output in step 3 now, there is no space:

?name=image.png

The output from here used in the lookup table now works (also needed to add in a hyphen, that was missing and it needs to be an exact match):

?name=image.png

Seems like everything is all sorted now but if you need any more help down the road please do reach back out in the Community and we’ll be happy to help. In the meantime, happy Zapping! ⚡️