Best answer

OpenAI: “Invalid file format” error for mp3

• 4 July 2023
  • 4 replies

@Troy Tessalone the Trigger seems to reload an older file (help doc says >4 hours old will be skipped) but in the test environment I can find and select the .mp3 file, so I am now moving on to the Transcription of the file using OpenAI Whisper action. BUT even though I only have 2 .mp3 files in the target folder, and have selected that one as in the first screenshot, when I test the action, it returns the error shown below (invalid file type). What?! I hope you can help me with this further roadblock. 

icon

Best answer by SamB 7 July 2023, 12:59

View original

4 replies

@Troy Tessalone btw, I am happy to engage you to assist me in getting this right, let me know. The one thing that is not intuitive in this Zap (which I purchased prior to having any experience with Zapier) is that I expect that the file will be automatically passed into the Transcription step, but there is a required field for “File” with a dropdown of what appear to be filters, and I selected “Extension: .mp3” assuming that would not impair the passage of the file identified in “New File Found” step prior. Maybe this is where the zap is grabbing a non-conforming file type and sending to OpenAI?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Andy Halliday 

The File field expects a file object or a file url, rather than a value of “mp3” indicating the file extension.

Try using this variable.

@Troy Tessalone I have not had luck with Zapier, it seems very fragile. After changing to “File (Exists but not shown)” I was able to manually select a file in the test mode and have the zap complete successfully and I felt victorious. But the live Zap fails for “Invalid File Format” even though the file output is an mp3. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @Andy Halliday! 👋

I’ve been looking into that error and it appears that you’re running into a bug with the OpenAI app unfortunately. There’s no ETA on when it will be fixed but I’ve added you to the list of affected users so that we can contact you by email as soon as it’s been sorted.

There’s no reported workarounds at the moment but if we come across any we’ll be sure to share details of them here.