Question

Once Microsoft To Do is completed I want to complete the same in Google Task

For context, I already have this zap properly set up:  I create a task from my gmail in Google Task and this zaps over to make a duplicate task in Microsoft To Do (MTD).  (I use MTD for my main task management needs).  This works fine.

Since I use MTD as my main manager, when I complete my task in MTD I want a zap to automatically delete the originating/duplicate task in Google Task.  I looked through and saw a similar post though it was the other way around.  Here is what I tried but it keeps giving me a “failed to find task” error.  

Trigger: Completed task in Microsoft To Do (Zapier tests and finds a completed task,  Success!).

Action 1: Find task in Google Task (see exhibit A below).  I map the ID from MTD into the title field.

(Result: error, failed to find.  See Exhibit B below)

Action 2:  Update task in Google Task, mark status to complete, and I’m mapping the same ID in the title.  This is also an error, but I think that’s expected since there is an error in the step prior.

What am I missing?  I’ve tried this many times, along with other combinations but nothing has worked.  

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community @derekbank! 🙂

What is the name of the task in Google Tasks that it should have found here? Asking as it looks like it’s searching for a task which has the Microsoft To Do’s task ID number as it’s name. Is that correct name or is the task you’re looking to update called something else in Google Tasks? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the Community @derekbank! 🙂

What is the name of the task in Google Tasks that it should have found here? Asking as it looks like it’s searching for a task which has the Microsoft To Do’s task ID number as it’s name. Is that correct name or is the task you’re looking to update called something else in Google Tasks? 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Great question, @SamB.  I was wondering the same thing, but Zapier would only let me choose things from Microsoft To Do.   To create a rule (rather than find a specific task), the ID’s have to be mapped, correct?

See below:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @derekbank 

Good question.

Try mapping this MS To Do variable from step 1 into the Title to search for Step 2.

Hi @derekbank 

Good question.

Try mapping this MS To Do variable from step 1 into the Title to search for Step 2.

@Troy Tessalone @SamB  Okay it’s soooo close!  I have it synced but there is still an issue.  I had to sync up the subject lines on step 2 and 3 with under google tasks, but I was selecting Microsoft To Do subjects (To Do was the only variables to select).  So this worked.  However…

The flow should be when I delete a task in Microsoft To Do Zapier then deletes the same “twin” task in Google Tasks.  It is no synced to do so, but when it does this and I look at my completed tasks in Google Task, it just replaces the previous completed task with the new completed task.  So if I just completed “task A” my completed tasks would show a line through it and it would be sitting in the “completed tasks” filter.  Then I do the same for “task B” and it deletes it but it replaces the “task A” variables with the “task B” variables in the “completed tasks” folder.  Hence if I did this 10 times, it would only have one completed task, with the latest one being the last one I deleted in Microsoft To Do.  Note that I mapped the subject and notes section.  If I didn’t map the subject and/or notes, then it literally completes a task and shows an empty task in the “completed tasks” folder (it’s just blank… I wouldn’t know what the task was a week later.).  It’s as if it’s creating a new task to delete instead of just clicking delete on the current task. 

It seems mapping the ID would be best, but it does not want to sync with IDs.  The thing with the subject sync is if I change anything in the subject line that may break the sync for particular that zap.  

Also, not sure if this matters, but this consists of 2 different zaps.  The first zap is I initiate a task in Google Tasks (call it task A), which it then adds to Microsoft To Do as “task A.” That zap is complete.  This works fine!  I work out of To Do so let’s say tomorrow I delete “task A,” it should then zap over to Google Tasks and delete the “task A” that started the whole thing.  This is the one I’m having issues with as stated above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@derekbank 

We’d need to see detailed screenshots with how each of your Zap steps are configured for both Zaps.

@derekbank

We’d need to see detailed screenshots with how each of your Zap steps are configured for both Zaps.

@Troy Tessalone  also notice when I try to map the ID’s the error for updating a task is it “failed to create a task” which I don’t want it to do anyway.  I just want it to click “completed” at the end of the day.  ;) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@derekbank 

@Troy Tessalone  Here are detailed shots:

Step 1:

Extra line was cut off from 1st screenshot

Step 2a:

Step 2b

Step 3

FINAL RESULT:

The google task I want to delete remains.  Zapier created a new task with the mapped info and placed it in the completed task section (with a line through it).  But the original task remains. 

Any ideas?  thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@derekbank 
Noticed this in your Google Tasks Find Task step, which may be impacting the Zap testing.

Make sure to test with data under the expected conditions.

Make sure to take note of the field descriptions.

You can also dynamically map the List ID from the previous step.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I’m pretty sure Troy’s got this one. The Task List and Task (ID) fields are required so that the API can identify the task you want to update. After that, only fill in fields that you want to change. So, based on your description, you’ll only want to have the Status field filled out.

Hope that helps!