Skip to main content
Question

Not triggering: Mailchimp New Subscriber in Segment

• 9 August 2024
  • 3 replies

Dear Zapier Community

I hope you are all well :)

You guessed it, I am having trouble with my Zap!

This zap works perfectly when I go through the tests. However when I publish the zap it does not trigger. When I look in ‘zap runs’ there are no runs or errors. I’m not quite sure what ‘15 min polling trigger’ means but maybe this could be the issue? 

I have attached screenshots of each step in the Zapier flow, showing both the input and output data. I apologise if it’s overkill! 

Automation Workflow:

1. Tag Detection in Mailchimp:

• When a subscriber is tagged with "Ambassador" in Mailchimp, initiate the zap flow.
  2. Promo Code Generation:

• A unique promo code for the subscriber is created by reformatting their name and bday. The code will be based on their name and birthday (i.e. Skye 15/02 → sky1502)
  3. Integration with Lightspeed X:

• The generated promo code is then posted to Lightspeed X, which is my inventory management and point of sale (POS) software, to create the promotion in the system (5% off any item) based on the promo code created in the zap flow.
  4. Subscriber Tagging:

• Finally, add a new tag to the subscriber in Mailchimp using the generated promo code. This allows for easy tracking and future reference.

In a bit more detail, here is the Zap Workflow:

1. Trigger - New Subscriber Tagged as "Ambassador":

• The automation is triggered when a subscriber is tagged with "Ambassador" in Mailchimp.
  2. Extract and Process Subscriber Name:

• The subscriber's name is truncated to the first three letters. For example, "Skye" becomes "Sky."
    • The truncated name is then converted to lowercase, turning "Sky" into "sky."
  3. Process Subscriber Birthday:

• The subscriber's birthday (in the format "DD/MM") has the slash removed. For example, "15/02" becomes "1502."
  4. Reformat Current Date:

• The current date is reformatted to meet the requirements of Lightspeed X’s API. This ensures compatibility when sending data.
  5. Tag Subscriber with Promo Code in Mailchimp:

• In Mailchimp, the subscriber is then tagged with a new tag that combines their truncated name and reformatted birthday, such as "sky1502."
  6. Post Promo Code to Lightspeed X:

• The final step involves posting this promo code (e.g., "sky1502") to Lightspeed X via a webhook by Zapier. This creates the promo code in the Lightspeed X system.

If anyone has any ideas I would hugely appreciate some help. 

Thank you so much <3

Please see below for the zap;

Second half of Zap
​​​​​​

Update: 09/08/24

I have been testing this on my account, where i have been adding and removing the trigger tag ‘ambassador’ multiple times - when I added the trigger tag ‘ambassador’ to a completely ‘virgin’ user, the trigger worked.

Unsure why this happened but it’s a step towards understanding!

HI @SkyeH 

The Zap trigger step event is scheduled meaning it will take up to 15 minutes to fire for your Zapier plan.

Think of it as checking for new data at these time intervals:

Zap trigger events have built in deduplication.

If a Subscriber already triggered the Zap, then it won’t trigger the Zap again, because the Zap already “processed” that Subscriber for the configured conditions.

Help link: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496260269965-Data-deduplication-in-Zaps

Hey @SkyeH 👋

Just wanted to check in to see how you’re getting on here. Did Troy’s post here help to answer your question? 

Let us know if you’re still in need of any assistance here! 🙂