Skip to main content
Question

Not Creating a new record, only updating the same record over and over again.

• 20 May 2024
  • 8 replies

I’ve created a loom video as to the problem: The titles says it all. Thanks

In 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @WhyJesus 

You need to map variables from Step 1 to the fields for these since you want to check for duplicates by Email & Nam:

• Email Address 1
  • Last Name
  • First Name

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @WhyJesus,

I wanted to check in here to see how you’re getting on. Have you tried Troy’s suggestion by mapping data on the Email Address and Name fields?

Please do let us know if you’re still in need of some help on this. We’re happy to assist further! 🤗

Hey Thanks for reaching out. 

Still not connecting the right records. 

https://www.loom.com/share/5575b4186a9f49a9a3dc96ae18d0d4a7?sid=58540ac1-ac21-4047-8617-761a1c8805ba

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @WhyJesus,

Thanks for the update here.

It looks like you haven’t mapped any data on the “Email Address” and “Name” fields on your Keap action step since you have chosen the “Check for Duplicates Using” field to “Email and Name” you’d need to map data on those fields for the Zap to know what to check.

Could you please map data on the “Email Address”“First Name”, and “Last Name” fields on your Keap action step?

Kindly give it a try and let me know how it goes? I'll keep an eye out for your response!

It appears that Email Address 1 does not show up in the awardforce data fields. I’ve sent this video to them to see why.

https://www.loom.com/share/d10daee0ea424a51967b4708ff31b70e?sid=ffcc1500-fd5f-48d0-b427-6e5defc8b8e0

The previous message had the wrong video. Use this:

This was from my AwardForce contact as to why email address 1 is not showing up:

The Through People Award Force account does not have a field named 'Email Address 1' so I'm not sure where that naming convention is coming from unless it's the field you need to pair within Heap. The Award Force platform does have a field named 'email' which is part of the user profile but that email value does not appear in the /entry payload. To get the email address of the entrant, you will need to use the SLUG value from the 'entrant' group within the GET entry payload to then query users with that slug value to retrieve their email address. 

Below is a screenshot from my Postman app highlighting the SLUG value for the user who owns the entry (entry slug: ALKXRMJK) I queried using the GET entry endpoint. The resulting entrant slug value in this example is qlvyLKYv.

Right-click the image and open it in a new tab to see a larger version.

If I then use that entrant slug value and query using the GET user by slug endpoint, I can then retrieve/use the email address for that user (such as using it to query Heap).

Right-click the image and open it in a new tab to see a larger version.

So there will likely be a process that you will need to set up in Zapier, William, and it might go something like the following: 

1. Webhook: Entry submitted (starting point)
  2. Get Entrant slug from entry payload
  3. Use Entrant slug to query Users to get the user payload
  4. From the Get entrant payload, use the 'email' value to query Heap

The above information should be helpful for you and Zapier support, William. If you haven't already, sharing our API documentation with your Zapier contact should help them as they'll be able to see examples of the payload data based on the endpoint used (i.e. Entry endpoints & User endpoints).

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @WhyJesus,

It looks like you’ve reached out to our Support Team about this and they replied yesterday with a suggestion. I’ll share details of the suggestion here in case it’s helpful:

Thanks for following up with me and providing the additional video. Reviewing the Zap again, I noticed 

1. There isn't an email address added in the Keap step of the Zap. This could be causing an issue since the option to check for Duplicates uses both the email and name. 
  2. The 'Entry Slug' field in the trigger step of your Zap may have changed and will need to be re-selected and re-tested.  

For the first issue, you will want to ensure that you're collecting an email from your subscribers in Award Force. This way, you can ensure an email field is mapped in the Keap step. [SCREENSHOT]

Regarding the second issue, here are the steps to check and correct this:

1. Open your Zap and go to the AwardForce step.
2. Revisit the 'Entry Slug' that's selected and ensure it still exists. If the 'Entry Slug' has changed, select the correct one. [SCREENSHOT]
3. Once you've selected the correct 'Entry Slug', load in new test records.
4. Now, you can map the updated fields from the AwardForce step to the 'Email' and 'Name' fields in the Keap step, as I explained in the previous email.

I hope this helps you resolve the issue. If it persists, or if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach back out.

If you’ve got any questions regarding their suggestion it would be best to continue the conversation with them over email. If you can’t locate their reply I’d recommend searching your spam/junk folder or searching your inbox for any emails from zapier.com in case. Sometimes their emails can end up in the spam/junk folder by accident.