Best answer

New Row in Smartsheet triggers Zap before Smartsheet completes cell data

• 7 June 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

I have a zap set up to create a new deal in Hubspot when a new row is created in Smartsheet. The final step in the zap pushes the Hubspot ID back into the Smartsheet row so it can be called upon when a separate zap runs to update the Hubspot deal when an update is made to the row in Smartsheet.

I have a problem though. Sometimes the zap runs before smartsheet has had chance to populate lookup fields required to flesh out the Deal. And sometimes it runs before Smartsheet has had chance to create a valid row ID. This means sometimes the zap doesn’t run at all or mostly, I get two new deals created in Hubspot. One with various details missing and a ‘duplicate’ deal, albeit one which contains all the data I need and can be updated with the Update Row-Update Deal zap. 

Delaying the zap has no effect as the delay does not (re) call Smartsheet for the missing details once the time is up, it just proceeds with what has already been delivered. I am contemplating setting up some python code to call the smartsheet repeatedly up to 10 times to allow time for the lookups to populate and the ID to post but it’s looking like a time-consuming exercise for what I am guessing is a common problem.

On that basis I am wondering if the zapier community had any other light-touch solutions they could propose that would not involve this deviation into coding python...not a practice I am super familiar with I must say.

Or perhaps there is some other component of my two zaps that is causing the duplicate?

Thanks in advance.

JB

icon

Best answer by vasmentis 7 June 2023, 17:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@vasmentis Hmm, you may be correct in your theory on the two Zaps working against each other. But before committing to that idea, I’d like to take a closer look at your set up. Can you please provide a screenshot or two of both the Zaps, similar to this, to give me better insight on what we’re working with? 

Thanks so much, Chanelle. Yes I can do that. Let me just clarify my thoughts while I go off to the snipping tool:

• Zapier sees new row in SS
  • Some details are missing 
  • Deal is immediately created in HS with missing details (Zap 1 - create deal from new row and return ID to SS)
  • BUT - new deal assigned deal number in HS
  • Deal Number is pushed to SS (Zap 1 - create deal from new row and return ID to SS)
  • SS updates
  • Zapier sees updated row in SS (Zap 2 - update deal when row updates)
  • By this time lookups are complete and IDs populated
  • New ‘duplicate’ deal is created in HS with no details missing.

@chanelle Hi Chanelle, This is working as expected now. I think the issue was actually related to manually running both the “Create….” and “Update…..” zaps too close to each other.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @vasmentis,

Awesome! We’re glad to know you were able to get it sorted!

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask in the Community. We’re always happy to help! 😊