Skip to main content
Question

New Recording in Twilio Missing recordings

Howdy,

I need to get the call recordings on twilio and create a transcript, I’m using the “New Recording” event but I see that when a call is ongoing and the zap runs to check for new Data, it pulls the Data from the ongoing call and messes with the automation. I believe the trigger should only pull completed calls so this does not happen. Is there anyway to work around this?

Thanks

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @tier1 

Perhaps try using this Zap trigger: Twilio - New Transcription

Can you provide more specific context by posting screenshots with what you are referring to?

Post screenshots with how your Zap steps are outlined and configured in EDIT mode.

The Transcription feature in Twilio is very basic and as far as I know only allows 2 minute recordings to be transcribed.

Trigger Recording, filters recordings (I only want to analyze calls that were 100 seconds or longer), Creates Transcription, ChatGPT analyses transcription and Finally, update the CRM. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tier1 

Can you post screenshots showing specific example context about this?

but I see that when a call is ongoing and the zap runs to check for new Data, it pulls the Data from the ongoing call and messes with the automation.

Did you test with the Zap turned ON?

Check your Zap Runs history to see the DATA IN/OUT for each step to help you trace and troubleshoot:

@Troy Tessalone Yes,

Here is the output of the trigger:

as you can see the duration is wrong because the recording is being processes, it should only trigger when the status is completed like this example:

As I’m filtering calls that are less than 100 seconds long, this one was filtered out

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tier1 

Your Zap Step 2 filter can check for multiple conditions:

• Status exactly matches completed
    AND
  • Duration greater than 99

Yes, but as you can see from the trigger output, when the call recording is being processed it shows the call duration as “-1” 

Wasting API calls and steps for calls that are not worth listening to. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tier1

Trigger steps count as 0 Tasks.

Filter steps that do not pass count as 0 Tasks.

https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496196837261-How-is-usage-measured-in-Zapier

I know, but if I let the junk calls go through they will eat our Deepgram API and Open AI API credits transcribing and summarizing calls I don’t care about, with a high enough volume, that becomes a problem 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@tier1

The purpose of the Filter as Step 2 is to only allow Twilio Recordings that meet these conditions to pass:

• Status exactly matches completed
    AND
  • Duration greater than 99

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey there, @tier1 👋

How are things going on this, were you able to get the filter correctly filtering out the “junk” calls?

Let us know if you’re still stuck at all - happy to lend a hand with this! 

I’m still having trouble with this and the solution provided won’t work for me…

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi @Luke2020292922,

Before we dig deeper into this, would you mind sharing an updated detailed screenshot of how your Zap is configured? Also, please share a screenshot of the “Action” section of the action step that shows all of its fields. Like so:

46dd6c0979e3d815d621b8da43084ef1.png
(view larger)

Please don't include personal information in the screenshot, or be sure blur out any personal information.

Thanks!