Question

New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets NOT finding new records.

• 23 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

I am currently working on a Zap that takes long URLs from a Google Sheet, sends them to bit.ly to shorten them, then sends them back to the same spreadsheet. The initial prototype worked with no issues but it no longer works.

The problem is the trigger: New or Updated Spreadsheet Row in Google Sheets. I am still building the Zap but it is not pulling new records for me to work with. When I update anything in the specified spreadsheet column, nothing triggers.

(Blurring trigger column because it contains company info)

The last three records are updates to rows 997, 998 and 999 - it’s almost like these rows are recorded because they were created (because they’re the last three rows on the spreadsheet).

I have tried:

• Recreating the Zap from scratch
  • Going back to old Zaps where this trigger did work, it no longer does
  • Recreating the Google Sheet
  • Reconnecting my Google Account

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should note that I have not published this app, I am on the free plan until I know this works then I can pitch it to my company and we can purchase a paid plan. I am willing to pay for it that is what is causing the problem.

Thanks.

6 replies

Userlevel 1

The problem seems to be that, despite specifying a column, any column in that row being updated is becoming a record for Zapier. Additionally, if a record for a row has been created, any further changes, even if they are in the specified column, do not trigger a new record. Please advise.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @alfieomz 

Good question.

Make sure to review the help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

The Zap will trigger for NEW records and for UPDATED records.

You may need to add a Filter as Step 2: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Make sure your GSheet is configured correctly for use in Zaps.

Seems like you may have a column with a value or a formula thus causing all the rows to be populated.

Userlevel 1

Hi @alfieomz 

Good question.

Make sure to review the help articles for using GSheets in Zaps: https://zapier.com/apps/google-sheets/help

The Zap will trigger for NEW records and for UPDATED records.

You may need to add a Filter as Step 2: https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

Make sure your GSheet is configured correctly for use in Zaps.

Seems like you may have a column with a value or a formula thus causing all the rows to be populated.

Yes, this formula is essential though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@alfieomz 

You may want to consider using Airtable instead of GSheets.

Airtable has a Formula field, which is isolated to the record/row.

Depends on how your GSheet is configured, but using formulas can be tricky and cause issues in spreadsheet worksheets that are used in Zaps.

The Zap is skipping blank rows

The Zap may seem to skip blank rows if they have formulas in them. If you use the Create Spreadsheet Row action, rows will be added to the first blank line that the Zap sees. If a row has a formula in it, the Zap doesn't consider it as blank and will skip it. If the formula is referencing data from within the same row you can build the formula directly into the Zap.

You can use any formulas available in Google Sheets in your Zap, if the variables in the formula can be mapped from other Zap steps.

This solution won't work if not all variables in the formula are available in the Zap, as it wouldn't be possible to reference specific cells dynamically. For example, let's say you have a sheet like the one in the image below. The Zap will populate the Number and Other Number columns, but column C will be manually updated later.

Example of Google Sheets worksheet with manual data entry

In that case, you can't reference C2 in the Zap, as this would mean that every time the Zap runs, it would make a reference to C2, instead of using the appropriate row number. In this case, you should create a new worksheet on the same spreadsheet and use the =IMPORTRANGE formula. This way you'll have a sheet connected to the Zap and another sheet that imports data from the original sheet, and allows you to use formulas, sort and filter the data, among other things, without having errors on the Zap.

I have the same issue.  Zapier is not filling data in for a “New Spreadsheet Row”.  My problem is I deleted or inserted a row months ago, and Zapier is not triggering.  I don’t know how to fix this.  My document is live and I can’t test it to fix it.  Would turning the zap off then on again fix it?  Please help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Cannuk 

Probably best to post your own topic with screenshots so it gets proper attention, thanks.