Best answer

New or Updated Spreadsheet Row -> Email: One update in any column triggers zap to all rows

• 19 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m using Zapier to manage and email clients collected from a form response sheet. I want to trigger 1 of 4 types of emails by adding a conditional selection in a column. 

I was able to make multiple zaps referencing a single sheet, and implement the trigger of “New or Updated Spreadsheet Row” for an update to a specific column. 

The issue I’m running in to is that if I update one row in a specific column, it is sending 4 emails to the email connected to the row. 

I set up my sheet to include a column for each of the 4 options like below:

name | email | 2-hour | half day | full day | waitlist

————————————————————————

row 1 | email |              |     x        |              |

row 2| email |      x      |               |              |

row 3| email |              |               |      x      |

I want to offer a person in row 3 a full day booking (1 of 4 options: 2-hour, half day, full day, waitlist)

I manually add “x” to row 3 column “full day” - this should technically trigger the “full day” email to the single customer email for the person in row 3.

The issue I’m having is that if I add an “x” to any row, any column, each version of the email is sent to each row again. 

icon

Best answer by frickinprofile 19 March 2024, 17:50

View original

4 replies

I have the exact same problem would love to get an answer ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi there @frickinprofile and @Oscar SLG. Welcome to the Community! 🎉

When you added the X into a new column for a row, was there an existing X that was also removed from one or more of the other columns in that same row?

If that was the case then that could potentially be why it was triggering the other Zaps, as it might be seeing the removal of the X from the previous column as a new update in the those columns.

Alternatively, was the X added into a brand new row that was added?

If so, then that might be what caused the wrong Zaps to trigger as the New or Updated Spreadsheet Row (Google Sheets) trigger will always trigger a Zap for new rows, even if the selected trigger column doesn’t have a value.

As a workaround for either of those cases, I’d suggest adding a filter to the Zap (available with paid plans) to only allow the Zap to continue if the relevant column has an X in it. You can find out more about how to use filters here: Add conditions to Zaps with filters

Can you both give that workaround a try and let me know whether that does the trick?

Userlevel 1

I was about to reply to @Oscar SLG that I figured out how to isolate the row and column change by adding a condition with a filter. 

The documentation for how this works is here: https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496276332557-Add-conditions-to-Zaps-with-filters

Oscar, open your Zap > Edit > click the “+” between the sheet trigger and the email action > add “filter” from the cards in the right column. 

This work around fixed my issue, thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

That’s an awesome news @frickinprofile! Thank you for sharing the workaround here!

Happy Zapping! ⚡️