Skip to main content

There is a “staff meeting” recurring event on the calendar. When this is edited, it is supposed to trigger the zap. For some reason, it is triggering every prior instance of this event, going back a few years. This is driving me crazy. It is happening any time a future instance is edited, it is triggered for every prior instance and runs through over 1,000 runs.

Yes - “Expand Recurring Events” is set to “No” 

Hi @ocwayne 

Please clarify which Zap app you are using by posting screenshots with how your Zap trigger step is configured in EDIT mode.

Attached is the screen shot of the app : Google Calendar

@ocwayne 

One of the attachments did not upload.

@Troy Tessalone  upload of attachment

Hi @ocwayne 

Try adding a Filter step to only process future calendar events.

https://zapier.com/apps/filter/help

I have filters, which will stop the trigger after the zap starts, that’s not my issue. 

If someone edits any future occurrence of this event, it triggers an update on all previous occurrences, going back to the origin in 2021. 

@ocwayne 

If you have a Filter as Zap step 2 to filter out calendar events in the past, then that will count as 0 Tasks for the Zap Run.

In GCal, you can try deleting past instances of the recurring event to stop the Zap triggers for old events.

You can try opening a ticket with Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Hey @ocwayne 👋

I can see that you’ve reached out to our Support team about this and they were able to identify what was causing the Zap to trigger on the old events. I’ll share the key details from their response here in case it’s helpful to others in the community that may be running into similar issues:

I understand that you're experiencing an issue with a Zap that's triggering too frequently in a short timespan, triggering our flood protection safeguard.

It seems that there was an update to a recurring event, which caused this issue.

If you update a recurring event and choose to update multiple events in the series (either "all events" or "this and following events" option in the screenshot below), the Zap will trigger once per individual event:

7d7317900b23dba9df9efa28ee8607ab.png

Please keep this in mind when making updates to recurring events in the future.

Next Steps:

Since you now have many held runs, if you decide that you want these runs to go through, you can follow the prompts in the banner in your account to push these runs through:

?name=image.png

Please do continue the conversation with our Support team via email if you run into any issues or follow up questions on that. And if there’s anything else we can help with in the meantime just let us know! 🙂

Well… I’m not sure that worked. 

We are editing “this event” only and it is still firing off old occurrences of the event. 

It’s a staff meeting and our HR director puts the agenda in the most recent meeting. She’s only editing that single meeting (or all of them would contain that same agenda). Yet it is still firing off 1,000 prior date events as being updated. 

Sorry to hear that @ocwayne. In that case, there must be something happening on the Google Calendar app on Zapier that’s causing issues. 🤔

That appears to be the case as I’ve just done some further digging on this end and found a bug report matching this same behaviour where the Expand Recurring Events option is set to No but is still triggering for the other recurring events. Looks like Support have already added you to the list of folks being impacted by this issue. I can’t make any promises as to when it will be fixed but adding you to the list does help to increase it’s priority and ensures you get an email notification the minute it’s resolved.

The only workaround I can think of in the meantime would be to split the current Zap into two separate ones. One that uses the New Event trigger to handle new events. And another that uses the New Event Matching Search trigger to handle updated events. For the second Zap you could use a keyword like “Edited” for example in the Search Term field when setting up the trigger. Then add that keyword to the title of the specific event when editing it and that should trigger the Zap for that event only. Do you think that sort of approach might work in the meantime?

I’m also having this trouble. I have Expand Recurring Events turned Off, but it keeps flooding my filters and getting caught in my HELD queue.

Sorry to hear you’re also being affected by this @MettaSong. I’ve added you to the bug report as well which will help to bump up it’s priority. While I can’t give an ETA on when it’ll be fixed I can promise you’ll get an email notification as soon as it’s sorted.  

Hopefully the workaround suggested above will help to get things working in the meantime. And if you run into any trouble setting that up do let us know, happy to assist further! 🙂