Best answer

Zap not triggering when a new file is added to Google Drive

• 11 March 2023
  • 5 replies

I’m brand new to Zapier, so hopefully I’ve just done something silly and the solution is simple.

I want to create an automation that will do the following;

Every time a new file (png) is added to a Google Drive folder, a link to that image is added the “Image URL” column on a Google Sheets spreadsheet.

It seems to work fine in testing, but once the Zap is published the Zap doesn’t trigger when I add a new file, and when I run the Zap manually, it’s can’t find the new file.

Here’s what my Zap currently looks like. Thank you in advance for any and all help!!

icon

Best answer by ken.a 16 March 2023, 03:53

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @MattMantheMapMan 

Good question.

The GDrive Zap triggers are scheduled (not instant) and can take from 1-15 minutes to trigger depending on your Zapier plan.

Zap triggers while ON for new data going forward.

Also, Zap triggers have built in deduplication, so you may need to alter the file if it’s already been used to trigger the Zap.

Thanks for the reply @Troy Tessalone!!

The Zap is turned on, I’ve used a brand new file that hasn’t been used before, and I’ve waited hours, and the Zap still doesn’t work. It still says it can’t find any new items in the file 😔

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@MattMantheMapMan 

Not all my files are triggering my new file in folder Zap.

The New File in Folder trigger has some nuance about what it will trigger on:

Google Files (e.g. Google Doc, Google Sheets etc)

• If a file was created within the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified fewer than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file was modified greater than 4 days ago and moved to the folder, the Zap won't trigger

Non-Google files (e.g. pdf or jpg):

• If a file is directly added to the folder, the Zap will trigger
  • If a file is directly added to the folder but was modified/created greater than 4 days ago, the Zap won't trigger
  • If a file is moved to the folder (even if it was added to Google Drive in the last 4 days), the Zap won't trigger

Also, you can't trigger or act upon a folder shared with you, so files added to folders you don't own will not trigger the Zap. The connected account must be the owner.

Thank you @Troy Tessalone!! The problem was that the file were more than 4 days old. It works perfectly with newer files.

Unfortunately, if Zapier doesn’t work with files more than 4 days old, then my entire workflow isn’t going to work.

Oh well 🤷 Thank you anyway!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey @MattMantheMapMan,

I’m glad to hear Troy was able to lead you in the right direction on why the Zap isn’t triggering. That said, we do have an open feature request for the New File in Folder to trigger on any files that are new to that folder, even if the file existed somewhere else previously.

I have added your vote on the open feature request. That does a few things:

• Bring this to the attention of the integration developers
  • Help track interest in this feature being implemented
  • Allows us to notify you via email if this feature becomes available in the future

While I don't have an ETA on when this feature might be implemented, we will notify you via email if it is!

Thanks! 🤗