Best answer

New bug with Slack DM action (custom username)?

• 8 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

I have a workflow in which I need to notify certain users via Slack when something happens. I have stored these slack user IDs in a global variable (using the Storage action). I can pull the slack user IDs just fine; when I test the Get Value action, the correct value is returned.

However, when I set up a step to send a DM to the user via Slack, the step won’t let me continue to the test screen. The variable is clearly being pulled into the username field just fine, but the Continue button is grayed out. I tried setting the username to a direct reference to a username (using the To Username tab to select a user, rather than the Custom tab to pull in my variable). That works fine. If I do that, and then switch to Custom, pulling in my variable, it looks like it works fine and I can click the Continue button. But when I test, it’s sending to the directly-selected username, rather than the variable. If I click back on the Set Up Action section of the Slack step, I see the directly-selected username, NOT the variable. 

This is new behavior. I have been able to send a message to a user by pulling in their username dynamically in the past. Did Zapier introduce a bug into the Slack connector?

icon

Best answer by Janine_Anderson 9 December 2020, 14:58

View original

This post has been closed for comments. Please create a new post if you need help or have a question about this topic.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Please provide screenshots of how your Slack step is configured in the Zap.

Userlevel 1

Using variable in username (had to cut & paste to get the button in the image):

Using a static username:

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I was unable to replicate the issue described.

Are you still encountering this issue in the Zap step configuration?

Userlevel 1

Yep, still happening.

Userlevel 1

If you have a slack DM step already set up using a static username (not dynamic), then you change it to the dynamic username - it LOOKS like it is okay. But if you actually send the DM, it will go to the static username you selected initially, and if you go back to edit the step, you’ll see the static username in there, not the dynamic one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tested as well then edited but was still unable to replicate your issue.

Perhaps submit a ticket to Zapier Support: https://zapier.com/help

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi, @jmcvicker ! I haven’t used Zaps with Slack DMs myself, but I know that if I’m looking up a user ID in an earlier step in a Zap and planning to use it in a later step to @ mention them, I have to add some additional formatting—inequality brackets and the @ symbol—in order to get it to properly tag the person.

Here’s how it looks when you’re bringing in data from an earlier field in your Zap. I typed in the <@, then brought in the data from a prior step, and then closed with >. I 

587285d119f5429296e3500fc6664760.png

I’d recommend trying this. Be careful that you haven’t inserted any spaces between the data pill shape and your symbols.

Let me know if it works!

Janine

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi there @jmcvicker - circling back to see if you were able to give Janine’s suggestion above a whirl. Were you able to get this sorted? 

Userlevel 1

I did try Janine’s suggestion, but it didn’t work for me. I did find a weird workaround though; if I send the DM to more than one person, it actually gets sent out. So I’m essentially cc’ing myself on all these slack message now. :worried:

EDITED: Ugh, sorry - this was in reference to a different Slack problem I’m having, that has been identified as an actual bug. THIS problem was fixed when I switched to using the slack user ID instead of the slack username. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks for sharing @jmcvicker! I’m sure this will help other folks!