Question

My Zap only updates one row on monday.com and not multiple rows.

• 17 August 2023
  • 21 replies

Hello, 

I would like to integrate monday.com with google sheets using zapier. I would like to be able to make updates to my google sheets that automatically update my monday.com board. I used the current zap below, but this only updates one row at a time into monday.com, not multiple rows. Would someone be able to help me figure out how I can make a multiple updates to my googlesheets that are reflected on my monday.com board? Thank you! 

trying update certain cells within a monday board when google sheets gets updated. We are trying to have a live spreadsheet which get updated everyday and we would like this to update monday board as well. I can get google sheets to add a row but I cant seem to find a way to update individual cells. Is there a way this can be done using a zap?

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @Bade 

Good question.

We would need to see detailed screenshots with how each of your Zap steps are configured, thanks.

Is it possible to add the Item ID for the entire Monday.com board and not just specific rows? I want to make updates on different rows within my google sheets that makes updates all across my monday.com board
Drop down menu doesn’t have an option to add the monday,com board/Item ID into dropdown

Please see screenshots and captions for challenges I’m running into above. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

> but this only updates one row at a time into monday.com, not multiple rows

This part has me confused. Doesn’t the Zap fire each time for each modified rows? 

Are you looking for something more like if there’s a modification anywhere in the sheet than the entire sheet (all the rows) gets sent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

The screenshots did not attach.

Like Troy said, screenshots would help.

But in essence you need to figure out a few things.

Will you be updating an existing record or create a new one?

If you are updating, then you’ll need to identify the row.

Once you’ve pinpointed the Board and Row, the plugin will list all the available fields on the Board that you can  fill in.

Hi everyone, 

This is a production schedule so more than row will need to updated. I will be modifying the entire google sheet (all the rows) into monday.com. Once updates are made in google sheets (multiple rows), I would like that to be reflected on monday.com without having to manually update. 

Is it possible to make multiple edits in google sheets and have that reflected on monday.com?

Here are the original screenshots of my process: 

Step 1 
Step 2 
Step 3
Step 4
Step 5
Step 6

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

Try using this Zap action: Monday - Get Item by Column Value

This would be used instead of this Zap action: Monday - Get Board Values

Thank you! If I do the zap action: Monday - Get Item by Column Value,  what would be the best column to search in? I would like to update all columns from google sheets. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

Most Zap triggers/actions work on a per record basis, meaning 1 record at a time.

For example, the Zap trigger for GSheets New/Updated Row would trigger X times for X number of new or updated rows depending on how the Zap trigger is configured.

So if row 3 triggers the Zap to fire, then you’ll need to determine what value from the GSheet row you can use to uniquely identify the desired Monday Item to get the Monday Item ID, to then update the Monday Item.

I’m afraid I’m not following. Do you have a visual as an example?

Does this mean I can only update one row at a time? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

Each new or updated GSheet row will trigger a separate Zap Run.

This Monday action can only update 1 Item ID at a time.

Got it.  Is there any action that allows me to update multiple Item ID’s at one time?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

The Monday API would have to be used: https://developer.monday.com/apps/docs/mondayapi

App APIs can be used in Zaps with these apps:

• Code
  • Webhooks

Thank you. Is there a zapier tutorial that can show how to use Monday APIs?

Also, can you explain the difference between 

Monday - Get Item by Column Value and Monday - Get Board Values?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade

Check the descriptions here: https://zapier.com/apps/monday/integrations#triggers-and-actions

Is Monday API the only way I can make the live sync with gsheets and monday.com?

I wasn’t able to find any additional zapier tutorials on Monday API, but would this be the correct order? Also, how can I determine the code?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

These 3 steps will only ever return 1 record each time a step runs.

Step 1 will return 1 row from GSheets when it’s a new row or an updated row. (depends how the trigger is configured)

Step 2 will find 1 Monday Item by a Column Value that’s search from Step 1.

Step 3 will change 1 Monday Item for the provided Monday Item ID found in Step 2.

Are there any other Zapier triggers and actions that could potentially work for returning multiple records outside of using the Monday API? 

Or would zapier be able to work if I integrated 4 separate zaps based on column value linking to the same gsheet and monday.com board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

The Monday API will be the best way to query for multiple Monday Board Items.

Zap action: Monday - Get Board Values

BUT it returns each Item Column as a separate variable, which is not really usable.

Is there a simplified zapier guide or article that highlights how to navigate integrating google sheets and monday.com using Monday API? I don’t have access to a developer, so i will be attempting this on my own. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Bade 

App APIs can have 100s of endpoints.

GSheets API: https://developers.google.com/sheets/api/guides/concepts

Monday API: https://developer.monday.com/apps/docs/mondayapi

If you need help, consider hiring a Certified Zapier Expert.