Question

My Zap is triggering multiple times on a Google Sheet Row

  • 12 July 2023
  • 7 replies
  • 167 views

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have a ZAP that is triggering anywhere from 2-4 times on a single row in Google Sheets; here is the ZAP run….

This is the ZAP trigger on the same row about 10 minutes apart.  

 

There are 2 Google Sheets; Google Sheet #1 is the primary sheet and in that sheet is an array formula that will complete a blank column when a “match” is found.  The second Google Sheet is just a Query function of the first Google Sheet, and when a match is found it is exported to the Google Sheet.  I chose to set up my ZAP this way because I wanted it to trigger on a ROW as opposed to triggering on a correct value in a column (ie., triggering on a change in a row).

What I guess is happening is that Google Sheet #1 cycles or calculates the array formula as new data comes in and the values in the array column disappear and re-appear (which means the Query function data in Google Sheet #2 disappears too) and thus the ZAP interprets it as a new row once it is calculated again.  I don’t that should be because it is not a new row as the data is not new and data just disappears and reappears after the calculation on Sheet #1.

Once again, I chose not to use the change in row function as the trigger because I found this ZAP process somewhat unreliable.  

 

Thoughts?

 

GML


7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @blueguy 

Good question.

What GSheet trigger are you using? (screenshot)

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueguy 

We’d need to see more detailed screenshots from the Zap Runs showing the DATA OUT for Step 1 that serves as proof it’s the same row.

 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Troy: Great call on this but very instructive

So this is different rows; so this is what I think is happening: 1) On Google Sheet 1 a MATCH is made; 2) On Google Sheet 2 (which is just a Query function of Google Sheet1), the rows are getting adjusted as the data is adjusting on Google sheet #1.  That is, the Query function is pulling rows by order and if a new match is found on Google Sheet #1, the rows are being adjusted on Google Sheet #2.

 

Now I can go back to using a trigger on Google Sheet #1 but I find column triggers to be unreliable.  What are your thoughts and great insight on this one?  Any other work arounds?

 

Thanks

 

gml

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@blueguy 

Have you tried using Airtable instead of GSheets.

I find it to be more reliable for use in integrations/automations.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Our typical workflow is Jotform to Google Sheet as this is HIPAA compliant; when sending data to Zapier, we always remove PHI; that is, we always insure that no PHI travels with any medical information and in fact that there is no PHI on any of the sheets that Zapier interfaces with.

Airtable is not HIPAA compliant so it would not be helpful and I don’t have the “bandwidth” right now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi there @blueguy,

I’m jumping in to see if I can help!

It looks like we might need to take a closer look at the Zap and its logs to determine why this issue is happening. I recommend reaching out to our Support team since they have the specific tools to do that.

You can reach our Support team here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Thank you for your understanding!

Reply