Question

My Notion to Basecamp Zap creates then immediately delete ToDos

• 10 January 2024
  • 7 replies

I have an integration between Notion and Basecamp that creates a ToDo in Basecamp and sends back the ID and URL to Notion when the ToDo is created.  Unfortunately, when I try to access the URL, it’s broken, and when I try to find the ToDo, it’s not there.  It’s almost as if the ToDo gets created, sends the ID and URL back to Notion, then immediately deleted.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community, @BetaZap! 👋

I’m not sure what’s causing that at the minute. I’ve been taking a look at the open bug reports for Basecamp 3 and I’m not finding a match for this behaviour, so perhaps this is a strange new bug that’s developed? 🤔

If you search for the ToDos in Basecamp are they there? If they’re not, can you test the Zap again to get it to create a new ToDo and keep a close eye on the ToDos listed in Basecamp to see if it appears momentarily before being deleted.

That should help us to determine whether the ToDo is created but with an incorrect link, the ToDo item is not actually being created in Basecamp or the ToDo is created but subsequently deleted.

Looking forward to your reply here!

Hi SamB,

I ran through some tests and never saw it appear in Basecamp.  One thing I did notice is that the problem seems to be the step where I have it creating a To Do List if the one I’m looking for isn’t found.  So what ends up happening is: 

• If it doesn’t find the To Do List, it tries to create one and then creates the To Do, which automatically gets deleted.
  • If it DOES find the To Do List, it creates the To Do under that List and it stays in Basecamp

It seems like the issue has to do with using the Create To Do List If It Doesn’t Exist Yet option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for sharing those findings here, @BetaZap. 🙂 

This is very odd. Can you share a screenshot showing the setup of the action that searches for the existing ToDo and creates one if it’s not found?

I’d like to take a closer look at that so see if there’s anything on the setup there that might be causing the issue. 

Thanks for your assistance on this!

@SamB 

Sure, no problem.  Here is the full flow just for reference:

...and here is the Find To-Do List Action:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks so much for sharing those helpful screenshots here, @BetaZap

It looks like there’s a warning about extra fields: 
6d181f2de6e4c53d617c2aee35be3cfe.png

I suspect it’s these extra fields that are preventing the ToDo from being created as expected.

There should be a button below that to remove the extra fields, can you try clicking that and then test it again to see if that fixes it?

@SamB 

Unfortunately, that did not resolve the issue.  I tried clicking that button, then running through it again to trigger the automation, no luck!

I’m stumped!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for giving that a try @BetaZap. I’m really sorry removing the extra fields didn’t fix it as hoped. 

It could well be that this is the result of a bug but I can’t confirm that from this side. So at this point it would be best to reach out to our Support team to investigate further. They’ll be able to dive into the logs for your Zap to better identify what’s causing this strange behaviour. You can get in contact with them here: https://zapier.com/app/get-help

Very keen to know what’s causing this to happen so please do keep us updated on how you get on with them! 🙂